Sign in to follow this  
apartmentluthier

Keno brothers Buried Treasure "Maggini"

Did anyone see the the Fox premiere of "Buried Treasure" with the Keno brothers last night? I watched to see the violin appraisal showcased on the teaser trailers. Naturally they have to milk things to make the show interesting, but the educational value was lost with a few of the comments.

Stating that the violin had to be played to really know if it was real simply didn't make sense. The expert stating the extra turns of the scroll being a Maggini signature characteristic also had me scratching my head. I thought it was less turns, not more.

Yeah, one of my friends mentioned this last night. He said that I would be interested in what they found. I'm skeptical, but they do usually know their stuff. These are the twins from Antiques Roadshow correct?

same thing happened on the pawn shop show, someone brought in a "stradivari", obviously a cheap german fake, the shop owners had to call a violin "expert", and he took several minutes and had to look inside to tell it wasnt real, some expert!!

Did anyone see the the Fox premiere of "Buried Treasure" with the Keno brothers last night? I watched to see the violin appraisal showcased on the teaser trailers. Naturally they have to milk things to make the show interesting, but the educational value was lost with a few of the comments.

Stating that the violin had to be played to really know if it was real simply didn't make sense. The expert stating the extra turns of the scroll being a Maggini signature characteristic also had me scratching my head. I thought it was less turns, not more.

Seemed like pretty silly stuff - I'm sure the producers had something to do with it...

My wife mentioned this to me, and when I saw the spot in commercial, I told her it was probably a German copy worth less than $500....

The expert "taking his time", and having it played in comparison to a real Strad is just to make good TV... I'm certain he knew what it was within 2 seconds of opening the case. ;)

Re the Pawn Stars episode, I know the "expert" and he is an accomplished maker and player. Certainly he saw the violin for what it was within the same nanosecond it took us. The hesitation was all part of the "show business."

Sorry I missed the Kenos.

Will

I too watched it for the violin in the teaser trailers. I thought the bold claim of it being worth $1,000,000 from a 5 second viewing in the attic was worth a gander. Boy was I wrong. I was hoping they would get into many of the standard features and clues everyone here at MN looks to first to determine the provenience and authenticity of a violin. Instead they show him looking at it under various lights, microscopes, and then bringing in the expert and professional violinist to determine the real value of the violin. The idea of that in itself was pretty comical considering they were pitting a genuine Strad against an unknown violin with a self-adjusting bridge and what looked like super-sensitive strings (not-too-mention the fact it hadn't been played or adjusted in decades). There was definitely no meat on the bones if you were looking for some expert information regarding what one should look for in authentic instruments.

To the expert's credit, he didn't laugh when the case was opened, but his poker face wasn't very good either. If you watch it, you can see the moment of instant appraisal before he started in on his pre-written lines.

In the end though, I think it probably did a good service for all those out there with attic Strads. Maybe it will help them manage their expectations and not go off and buy that pool they've had their eye on just yet....

P.S. I found the rest of the show rather good...

Yes, these shows are about drama... and the better ones (in my opinion) have a little education thrown in. On the Antiques Roadshow, the producer wanted to know 1) when something came in and the owner hadn't the foggiest idea that it was worth a good deal, or 2) when something came in that the owner was convinced was worth a ton and actually wasn't... but had a good story. Those are the situations that got the table side chats. The rest of the day was spent doing 3 minute appraisals for those in the line. It was a bunch of fun, though, for the two or three seasons I participated.

I still get calls or a visit from producers of startup and a few more established shows, as I imagine many appraisers do... but the novelty for me has passed... so until now I've gently declined. However, if something radical (that I thought might be fun) came along, who knows! :)

My wife mentioned this to me, and when I saw the spot in commercial, I told her it was probably a German copy worth less than $500....

The expert "taking his time", and having it played in comparison to a real Strad is just to make good TV... I'm certain he knew what it was within 2 seconds of opening the case. ;)

Good call! They ended up saying it was an Early 20th Century German copy worth about $300. Too bad we didn't take bets before-hand (reputation points of course) on what the result would be... ;)

300 is ebay value as is and even thats low for magginis on ebay which can go for 500-600, maybe what the brothers are saying is its 300 now, 600 to fix and set up and 1200 retail in a store or something like that, decent maggini copies now days have about a 1000 insurance value, even more for really good sounding ones, correct me if im wrong, however condition and unrepaired cracks etc change all that,

im not qualified to give appraisals but when i give a verbal opinion of value i try to give the customer an insurance value or full retail not a dealers wholesale price, which is what it seems these guys are doing, of course i might not want to buy one for more than 150, i recently bought one for 2 or 300 sold it to a dealer for 700, but it sounded great and i had it priced at 1500, and obviously not all magginis are the same or from the same time or factory, some are even from france and worth twice as much

most all of my furniture is covered in violins, does that make my violins furniture, brad??

one couch alone would appraise over 5000usd!!!!one of my bookshelves about 20,000usd!!

that bottom one and possibly the top one are probably frauds IMO, the bottom one is obviously later, less primitive, possibly influenced by strad, the middle one looks about right though, the really early makers except the amatis tend to look a little undeveloped or more primitive, obviously uninfluenced by later makers, i though i had a da salo once, scroll looked primitive etc, long story, but i couldnt find any one else to accept my opinion

they were given as examples of three maggini scrolls i assume, when in fact they are three scrolls on instruments reputed to be magginis, my call was pure speculation, i have never seen a maggini but to me these three scrolls look like three different makers

I read their book. They are experts in very high quality antique American furniture.

They even appeared some years ago in "The New Yankee Workshop" with Norm Abram, showing a wonderful XIX century Queen Anne legged "Highboy" .

is link man suggesting that the same bloke made all three, what's the point

Possibly, to show that Maggini made scrolls with standard turns, fewer turns, & an extra turn????