Maestronet Forums

Georges Chanot

GoldenPlate

• 2 weeks later...

The label in the fiddle in the eBay listing is authentic to a fare-thee-well

Really? What makes you think you can tell? I'd like to know.

As far as being able to identify a fiddle goes, I'm not even in the same sheaf of the multiverse as Jeffrey and Michael.

Yet, as someone who successfully practiced as a commercial artist for years, I do know a fair bit about paper and printing and can often spot a fake label because of subtle anachronisms (broadly the same type of pattern-matching that Michael and Jeffrey use when identifying a fiddle as a copy rather than an original).

But I can't tell anything about that label apart from the name of the typeface: the photo is too poor! So I'm fascinated: why do you think it's a real one?

Really? What makes you think you can tell? I'd like to know.

As far as being able to identify a fiddle goes, I'm not even in the same sheaf of the multiverse as Jeffrey and Michael.

Yet, as someone who successfully practiced as a commercial artist for years, I do know a fair bit about paper and printing and can often spot a fake label because of subtle anachronisms (broadly the same type of pattern-matching that Michael and Jeffrey use when identifying a fiddle as a copy rather than an original).

But I can't tell anything about that label apart from the name of the typeface: the photo is too poor! So I'm fascinated: why do you think it's a real one?

Don't recall saying I thought the Chanot was real. I could prove it to anyone interested to learn why, but since my posts are continually being censored by the moderator, for spelling the B.S. word, there's no use to try.

All the while, other posters use vulgar and profane words at will. Is that fair? I think not.

mr. bean, the fiddle id experts on maestronet from pictures alone seem to be peter and jacob, not michael and jefferey, who tend not to put out guesses on ids from pics alone, at least not very often

Experts don't miss. Every fiddle speaks for itself, loud and clear.

Understanding the language comes by carefully listening, no 'guesswork' involved.

I've seen a twin brother to the one on eBay, but it was in a 'major' shop....in the WINDY city.

Jmann. The two posts above are examples of why your contributions are reviewed before they are released.

True expertise isn't something you achieve through wise-cracks or platitudes... or aligning oneself with an expert when it is to ones advantage, and pitting oneself against the status quo when it isn't. It seems you have little respect for those who actually study, have the understanding, the skills which they hone over time, and have the respect of their peers as a result. As a matter of fact, more often than not, you seem to show open contempt for these individuals while handing out (all too often flawed) observations. Too bad.

I tend not to comment on many of the ID threads on MN, and have not for a number of years... this was always the case when the item in question was for sale, but I avoid giving almost any opinion now... It's a learned response. Having participated on this board since the time it was created, I've seen the downside of well-meaning advice and observation, by it's occasional misuse for commercial reasons. I particularly disliked it when my quotes, mostly taken out of context, ended up on ebay listings and other sales oriented websites. Indeed, I've seen quotes from at least one of the two contributors, who's generosity has gained Lyndon's and other members favor, taken out of context, and used in a similar manner.

To take things a step further, advice given by those who are less generous, wanting to "prove" something, generally results in a lot of chest-beating and inaccurate/misleading information... and the resulting misunderstandings and confusion are even more dire. What's even more disturbing is that I've seen some evidence that this sort of poster may actually be "fishing" for comments that can be used to enhance their own sales listings.

The photo comparisons you presented on this thread drew me out of my normal practice... which I am happy to return to now. Matter of fact, I think I'll be even a little less likely to comment.

Expect fewer of your posts to be released as we go forward if presented as the ones above.