Humidity & Neck projection- what's up?

I tried to find a thread relating to this: Summer in Michigan is usually quite humid. This 1938 violin neck angle dropped about 3 or 4 mm.

I had it raised over the winter and my tech used a wedge between the block and the heel of the neck. Is this slippage caused by humidity or does this baby need a more expensive fix?

Is 26-27 mm correct? It's at about 23 mm now. How much change happens with humidity? We've got 70-100 % most of the summer and in winter I keep it in the case with a dampit.

We've got 70-100 % most of the summer ...

That's a very bad environment for violins. Climate control, or suffer the consequences, like major permanent distortion. Bending resistance of wood is dramatically reduced at high moisture levels. Might be something else going on too.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen! I'm from New Mexico where humidity is never a problem, except its absence.

Since moving to Michigan we have often thought the state could use universal climate control.

There must be something up and I will have the instrument checked out again.

I do hope the restorer accepts squirrel pelts in lieu of cash.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen! I'm from New Mexico where humidity is never a problem, except its absence.

Since moving to Michigan we have often thought the state could use universal climate control.

There must be something up and I will have the instrument checked out again.

I do hope the restorer accepts squirrel pelts in lieu of cash.

If you are not doing so already, try controlling the humidity in the area the violin is kept with a dehumidifier. I'd do this before attempting further alterations.

BTW: You'll need a humidifier in a couple months.

Welcome to Ann Arbor.