Surprise visit by the Titian

I walked in a bit late to our local violinmakers' meeting, and there was the usual half-dozen motley crew. There were a few instruments on the table. Our president casually mentioned that we had a Bergonzi, Amati, and the Titian. Yeah, right... the Titian <_< . Our president makes jokes all the time. It wasn't until about 15 minutes later that I found out it really WAS the Titian. Cho-Liang Lin, owner of the instruments, was in town as the director of a local music series, and had graciously let us get our grubby hands on them for an hour or two. Unfortunately, as part of the deal, he had requested that they not be played. And, unfortunately, we were too ethical to do otherwise. He didn't say anything about whacking in the bridge for a spectrum response. I didn't do it, though. It was kindof curious holding the fiddle that I had spent hours watching flap away on my screen in modal animations, and more hours looking at the poster and reading about it in The Strad.

And then there was Bill Fulton's trunk full of old wood, which I had come to the meeting for in the first place. Got enough maple for 8 violas. :)

I walked in a bit late to our local violinmakers' meeting, and there was the usual half-dozen motley crew. There were a few instruments on the table. Our president casually mentioned that we had a Bergonzi, Amati, and the Titian. Yeah, right... the Titian <_< . Our president makes jokes all the time. It wasn't until about 15 minutes later that I found out it really WAS the Titian. Cho-Liang Lin, owner of the instruments, was in town as the director of a local music series, and had graciously let us get our grubby hands on them for an hour or two. Unfortunately, as part of the deal, he had requested that they not be played. And, unfortunately, we were too ethical to do otherwise. He didn't say anything about whacking in the bridge for a spectrum response. I didn't do it, though. It was kindof curious holding the fiddle that I had spent hours watching flap away on my screen in modal animations, and more hours looking at the poster and reading about it in The Strad.

And then there was Bill Fulton's trunk full of old wood, which I had come to the meeting for in the first place. Got enough maple for 8 violas. :)

Don,

Nice! Those are the kind of surprises we need more often. What Bergonzi was it? Did you take pictures?

on we go,

Joe

The Bergonzi was 1740; still had a lot of it's deep red varnish. Unfortunately, since this was all a surprise, I didn't have a camera with me.

Not even a camera in your phone?

I'm surprised that such a 'Toy King' as yourself would be caught without any tech on hand! :o:lol:;):PB)

All kidding aside, Thanks for the wonderful story.

Not even a camera in your phone?

I'm surprised that such a 'Toy King' as yourself would be caught without any tech on hand!

Tools, yes... gadgets, no. My cellphone is very old and in museum-quality condition, due to minimal use. It does have a very low-res camera, but no way to download it (extra-cost service for internet connection, which I don't have). Someone else there did have a camera, so I'll get a photo or two sometime.

Just like that, unannounced, it came through the door, available for close examination???

Yep. If it had been announced, we would have needed a larger hall and security guards. This was better... those in attendance can thumb their noses at members who failed to attend :P . Not to mention the fact that there was no waiting for your turn to hold and slobber over the Titian.

Not to mention the fact that there was no waiting for your turn to hold and slobber over the Titian.

Can you tell me what the reaction of the varnish was to your saliva? :o

Did you manage to slobber on a section of wood with no varnish, just ground? :mellow:

What is the chemical make-up of your saliva? :blink:

Any other pertenent information would be most appreciated! :lol:

I think we should all pitch in and buy you an i-Phone!

Any takers? :unsure:

So, how was your experience of looking at the real thing as compared to the poster?

The real thing wasn't quite as flat. But generally it was "Oh, yeah, I recognize you from your pictures." Too bad we couldn't locate a poster to compare the colors... but it seemed somewhat close. The real thing seemed slightly darker, but it might have just been the lighting, and/or the white background I'm used to on the poster. I was mostly interested in seeing how the arching blended around the F-holes, which is a detail that's hard to get from the posters. It didn't look too far off from what I have been doing lately; perhaps I use a tad more recurve.

I think we should all pitch in and buy you an i-Phone!

Any takers? :unsure:

No thanks. My wife has one, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it on; now I know that much, but it looks too complicated for what I need. My main use for the cellphone is to see what time it is, 'cuz I never did like wearing a watch.

post-25192-0-76721700-1313092463_thumb.jpg

Finally got the photo from the guy with the camera.

Interesting... the glowing "reflective street sign" effect in the flash photo. Didn't look that way in person; it looked more like the poster. More evidence of the difficulty in photographing violins so they look like they do in person.

Ha! That is my primary use for the phone I carry, too.! I wonder how many geezers there are who share that practice? (I just lately was informed that I now qualify as a "geezer"--can't recall why...)

I have an old wooden Northern Electric telephone from the 1930's with a crank on the side; I thought it would be good for a conversation piece I could show up at board meetings with. This phone would be equipped with back -pack type shoulder straps, and I would replace the inner electronics with a hacked modern cel phone. It would fit right in with my favorite saying regarding phones - "What happened to the good old days, when telephones had cranks?"

Luckily others had cameras and they should be posting them soon...Bob, Jade? Plus some measurements were taken.

That was an awesome meeting! Let's recap:

1. Titian Strad!!!!!

2. Bergonzi!!!!

3. Amati!!!!!

4. Cho-Liang Lin just dropping by!!!!!!

5. Cheap maple (from William Fulton emptying his stockpiles)!

You never know what you'll experience when you come to a SCAVM meeting! WOW!

Don - I liked your pic better than mine, but here's the one with me and the TITIAN STRAD!

--Bruce

post-27659-0-00436500-1313187939_thumb.jpg

Looking at the photos..it is amazing how well preserved something that old can be....(the violin too !!)

shabam...two for the price of one !.....sorry guys . I couldnt resist. I am very jealous as I live here in the Mid-west and we dont have those sort of opportunities.

Thanks for sharing !