Sign in to follow this  
UG Fiddlesmith

Willow stock

I have yet to try willow for either blocks or linings and would like to give it a try; does anyone have a good source for small quantities of willow? Is there a particular species of willow that works better than others? What moisture content works best for linings? I would presume that blocks should be pretty dry so little shrinkage occures after glueing to ribstock. Any available info on working with this type of wood would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Willow is great stuff to work with for blocks and linings. I tried, unsuccessfully, to find a local source for willow locally, in western NY. I ended up going to a friend who has lots of Black Willow growing near his creek, and cutting up some recently downed limbs. I then cut this into reasonable sized chunks about 18" long, painting the ends, and putting it up to dry. Willow has a LOT of water in it, so don't plan on using it anytime soon.

does anyone have a good source for small quantities of willow?

My father always used to scrounge the offcuts from Gunn & Moore (Cricket bat factory) in Nottingham. Perhaps you americans should import some cultivated sports after all!

one cricket bat from india for 50usd might give you enough wood for 20 instruments, get a leather covered bat thats usually not linseed oiled under the leather, the plain wood bats are always oiled

one cricket bat from india for 50usd might give you enough wood for 20 instruments, get a leather covered bat thats usually not linseed oiled under the leather, the plain wood bats are always oiled

You are not encourageing americans to saw brand new cricket bats up, are you?

What other use would they be to us, Jacob? :)

Every other respectable ex-colony plays cricket. Just goes to show that the americans are a bunch of germans, who think that they can speak english.

Every other respectable ex-colony plays cricket. Just goes to show that the americans are a bunch of germans, who think that they can speak english.

Probably true, but a little cruel, if the agenda is reforming us by winning us over. :)

sorry jacob, i didnt think there was anything sacred about cheap indian bats, by all means ask cricketers in your region for broken bats, however there was in a previous thread some debate about the effect of use on the woods potential for tone.

:lol:

In Canada?

Not sure, I'll need to check. We colonists suffered a severe decline in education after The Crown cast us off, and we still haven't recovered. It was rather rude of you. A short conflict or two, and you gave up on us.

Not sure, I'll need to check. We colonists suffered a severe decline in education after The Crown cast us off, and we still haven't recovered. It was rather rude of you. A short conflict or two, and you gave up on us.

Ah just be glad that America did not enter into WWII on the side of Germany.

we have talked before about cricket bats being pressed when being made , I bought a blank of wood from a pro maker , unworked

ok you got me adam, using cricket bats for violin wood is kind of like getting water to drink from the radiator in the desert, you only do it if you have to.

Got you covered, Bob. I'll bring some to Happy Valley. It's split and dried but not sawed into nice boards, for the most part. I do have several lining strips already sized, so I'll throw in a few of those.

ok you got me adam, using cricket bats for violin wood is kind of like getting water to drink from the radiator in the desert, you only do it if you have to.

Can you help me with a question dealing with etiquette? :huh:

Does that come before or after drinking one's own urine? :huh::unsure::rolleyes::blink::huh::lol:

NASA’s Pee Recycling Bag Turns Urine Into a Sports Drink

HOUSTON — At the international space station, it was one small sip for man and a giant gulp of recycled urine for mankind.

2_61_iss_urine_toast.jpg

We're an ex-colony, but no cricket to be found here. In my local area, we have many people of Ukrainian descent; cricket to us is a foreign thing heard about overseas in England. The game of choice played here started out as a piece of frozen buffalo turd chased around an icy pond with sticks. Later, due to the scarcity of buffalo, they switched to rubber turds.

We have willow trees growing commonly out of control in private yards, so there's always somebody cutting one down. Sometime ago I saved a number of short logs that should be ready for sawing into blocks and linings soon.