Sign in to follow this  
pouncycat

Max Moller Information

I've recently seen a violin by Max Moller. I had not heard of him previously. It's a gorgeous violin in both construction and sound. I've found that there were several makers in the family, but not much more information. Where has he been all my life, is he as highly esteemed as this violin would suggest, and how much would a shop price be?

There were 3 makers in the Moller family, Paul Max, Guillaume Max and Berend Max, all Mittenwald trained . I assume we are talking of the first one Paul?? I believe he was fond of making violas.

Paul Max Moeller worked as chef d'atelier in the shop of Vermeer, and in 1912 became an independent maker. Initially in the P.C. Hoofd straat. I have a gorgeous violin, made in 1913 in the P.C. Hooft straat. He was, I think, the best maker of the Moeller family. His large violas, made in the years 1946-1947 are well known, and in the fifties many members of the Concertgebouw Orchestra played Moeller violins. (My teacher played both a Moeller viola and violin). He died I believe in 1948. His son Paul Guillaume Max continued the shop, that was for many years located in the Willems Parkweg in Amsterdam. He was a respected expert, but his certificates are not always reliable, since he wrote a number of false certifictes on violins he sold. He died in 1975, I believe. His son and successor Berend was tragically murdered in 1989. After that the widow of Berend Cornelia continued the shop until a few years ago. She closed the shop. Now Andreas Post has his shop in the same location.