Maestronet Forums

First Coating on Violin Plates

pt3

I am making an experiment on varnishing. I made the varnish according to Marciana Recipe. The steps for the first coating is as follows:

1) Sun tanning

2) Applying thin varnish diluted with turpentine about 1:5 by volume, light brown in colour

3) Sun tanning

The result is shown in the attached photo. I am quite satisfied with its dichroic effect. The wood is from Northeast China, veery very cheap.

I don't know whether it is detrimental to the acoustic properties of the plate. Of course, the thin varnish was totally absorbed by the wood.

Mr. Don Noon:

Could you tell me what resin in turpentine do you use for this purpose? Thanks!

post-30878-0-73088000-1309648186_thumb.jpg

Mr. Don Noon:

Could you tell me what resin in turpentine do you use for this purpose? Thanks!

Congo copal.

FWIW, Sam Zygmuntowicz told me he uses no oil in the first coat or two that goes on the wood. Greg Alf's method (at least, what he demonstrated at a varnish workshop) uses a very thick, short oil varnish thickened even further by adding pumice, and rubbing onto the wood.

I haven't tested everything, but for practical (drying time) and potential acoustic effects, I see no reason to use oil-containing varnish directly on the wood, except possibly extremely dilute for color (a la Darnton) or extremely thick (a la Alf).

Congo copal.

FWIW, Sam Zygmuntowicz told me he uses no oil in the first coat or two that goes on the wood. Greg Alf's method (at least, what he demonstrated at a varnish workshop) uses a very thick, short oil varnish thickened even further by adding pumice, and rubbing onto the wood.

I haven't tested everything, but for practical (drying time) and potential acoustic effects, I see no reason to use oil-containing varnish directly on the wood, except possibly extremely dilute for color (a la Darnton) or extremely thick (a la Alf).

Could you tell me the concentration of copal in its turpentine solution (e.g., how many grams of copal in 100 cc turpentine) you use as a sealer?