Maestronet Forums

Violin Bridge

BBBXXX

This is really stretching the weak old memory cells, but...

30 years ago I recall a violin shop near where I lived, I think the shop was in San Gabriel or Temple City. I think that might have been the guy, but I could be wrong. Whoever it was is most likely dead by now, as he was probably over 60 at the time.

OOOOHHH! A neuron woke up and I recalled "Basil J. Hooker", and googling that name shows:

BASIL J HOOKER VIOLIN MAKER, 121 N SAN GABRIEL BLVD, SAN GABRIEL, CA, 91775, ( 818) 285-6945

But, reverse lookup shows a different location, and it's most likely ancient history. Like I said, this guy was old 30 years ago, so I think you're out of luck

A little more searching and I found something that said he died in 2000 at age 67. I guess he wasn't that old; I only met him briefly once. I recall entering his shop and expressing interest in violinmaking, and he made it quite clear that he had no interest in spending his valuable time chatting with me about it. I never went back.