Maestronet Forums

What's On Your Bench Mk 2

Melvin Goldsmith

Very nice Matthias! Is this the same varnish process as the last one? It looks to be a slightly different colour and a bit more opaque on the top plate near the bouts. Maybe its just the lighting in the picture.

Thanks. I have changed quite a few things since the last one. First of all the ground is darker, less yellow and has more depth. The varnish in fact is more transparent than on #2. Instead of the Kremer madder lake and asphalt that I used on my #2, I used homemade madder lake, which is more transparent, easier to mull, and more of a orange colour. I used some bone black to tone it down, too.

The top looks opaque in the photo because of the lighting and the very narrow growth. I will take better photos when it is finished.

Matthias

Not exactly on my bench any more: I made a new bench recently:

post-24867-0-03384100-1318350816_thumb.jpg

post-24867-0-77839300-1318350832_thumb.jpg

I agree that a bench should be heavy and large, but my flat is small and I'll probably move in the next couple of years so this small bench is pretty handy. It can be disassembled in a few minutes and fits in a small car. Despite its size it is quite heavy and stable.

Moreover, I put three thin layers of varnish on violin #2:

post-24867-0-41215800-1318351532_thumb.jpg

post-24867-0-43683500-1318351548_thumb.jpg

The colour is golden orange by now. Actually, I wanted a rather red-brown colour so I'll add one or two more layers of pigmented varnish...

Not exactly on my bench any more: I made a new bench recently:

post-24867-0-03384100-1318350816_thumb.jpg

post-24867-0-77839300-1318350832_thumb.jpg

I agree that a bench should be heavy and large, but my flat is small and I'll probably move in the next couple of years so this small bench is pretty handy. It can be disassembled in a few minutes and fits in a small car. Despite its size it is quite heavy and stable.

Moreover, I put three thin layers of varnish on violin #2:

post-24867-0-41215800-1318351532_thumb.jpg

post-24867-0-43683500-1318351548_thumb.jpg

The colour is golden orange by now. Actually, I wanted a rather red-brown colour so I'll add one or two more layers of pigmented varnish...

Roland -

Great bench! You could probably custom make them for other luthiers with limited space. Question about the pictured work in progress: what did you use for ground? Thanks in advance. Julian

Roland -

Great bench! You could probably custom make them for other luthiers with limited space. Question about the pictured work in progress: what did you use for ground? Thanks in advance. Julian

Hello Julian -

thank you! The ground is relatively simple: I applied a few layers of Oded's madder tincture (madder and a few tea bags steeped in alcohol + a bit of shellac and mastic -- see here). To avoid stainig the wood, I applied a layer of "pure" alcohol before applying madder tincture to the wet surface. I really like the effect of the madder tincture. It colours the wood in a very natural manner, leading to a slightly yellowish hue on the spruce and a rather grey-brown on the maple (similar to the colour obtained with natural aging). The effect was particularly nice on the table which was a pleasant surprise -- usually, spruce is more critical. It did not lead to grain reversal, either. Here is one pic of the top (IIRC, the colour in the picture is quite close to the actual colour):

post-24867-0-71972300-1318500796_thumb.jpg

I'll keep experimenting with the madder tincture to obtain a more intensive colour. Oded suggested adding pernambuco shavings and evaporating some of the alcohol to make the extract more concentrated.

After the MT, I applied a paste of varnish and pumice. For the maple, I mulled a small amount of madder into the varnish. This helps to avoid the dirty looking greenish tinge I usually get with unpimented varnish and pumice. For next fiddle, I am going to add a tad more madder...

Best,

Roland

Nice TP! It's beautiful.

I have thought about making the fiddle and all of the accessories by hand, but have yet to venture out that far...

Thanks Craig!

It was fun making it. Yes it would be cool to be make all the accessories.

The pegs would be a challenge for sure ...

Hi Fjodor,

great idea! I am looking forward to seeing your fiddle finished! The TP looks very nice!

Hi Roland,

The only bad thing about the solariums is they do have a one hour timer so one has to go start them over now and then.

You seem to have plenty of natural sunlight were you live though. Your violin looks very nice!

I'm also waiting impatiently to string up mine.

just finished.........

sorry. don't know how to do "thumbnails"

JOHN! WOW - this is amazing! Very nice! But show us the scroll, I want to see the pegs ;)

To do the "thumbnails": I usually use the "Attachments" section under the editor. After uploading a file, I just click "add to post"...