Maestronet Forums

Bach Chaconne poster

zefir68

A few years ago I saw a poster (a large one) of the manuscript of the complete Chaconne (one of the many spellings) from the d minor Partita for solo violin. I cannot seem to find one to buy anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find it? Thank you in advance!

It must have been a VERY large poster to contain the whole score for the Chaconne. I saw few posters of the first page, but maybe the best for you would be to ask a reprography shop to make a custom poster for you. Just bring them the whole score on A4 ppaper.

In my editions of the Bach S&P's the Chaconne takes up 7 pages. I heard Milstein play it live when I was in college. He broke a hair off his Tourte bow somewhere in the middle of the piece. It was just before intermission and we were sitting the first row. The stage was rather low in relation to our seats and no one was looking during the break so we had one of the smallest girls sneak up on the stage and get the bow hair. I still have my piece of it taped in my LP box set of the Bach, along with the autographed program from that night. The bow hair is sort of a secondary relic! It's hard to think that Milstien has been gone so long, he was very nice to a bunch of college kids coming back to his dressing room after the concert. I remember him saying, "just a minute I have to put my fiddle away".

Dwight

• 1 month later...

I have a few copies of the poster you mentioned above. A few years ago I managed to find it, and even spoke to the gentleman who had done the calligraphy. I bought it directly from him (there's a phone number in very small print at the bottom of the poster) I have it in my music room and it's beautiful. Recently I wanted to get more copies to give to friends as gifts, but found out that the gentleman who done the poster had passed away. His wife (a violinist)still had some copies, so I bought a handful copies. I don't know if she has any more copies, or even willing to send it abroad. She's based in the UK. Friend of mine bought the same poster in Paris!

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm right at the point where I want to go the extra step and memorize this masterpiece.  Seeing this, I looked at getting it all on one page for $22 (this poster), even in Anna's lovely hand, cut it in half, and mount it on cardboard so I can play through this damned thing without turning pages. Then I thought, wait... Does anyone know some other way to get this thing on one page for actual playing (is there such an edition--I'd be writing my own fingerings and bowings in anyway..._?  Or do I truck my Dover edition down to the print shop and run the copies?

17 hours ago, palousian said:

I'm right at the point where I want to go the extra step and memorize this masterpiece.  Seeing this, I looked at getting it all on one page for $22 (this poster), even in Anna's lovely hand, cut it in half, and mount it on cardboard so I can play through this damned thing without turning pages. Then I thought, wait... Does anyone know some other way to get this thing on one page for actual playing (is there such an edition--I'd be writing my own fingerings and bowings in anyway..._?  Or do I truck my Dover edition down to the print shop and run the copies?

There was a proper pdf on IMSLP . Good starting point.

That sure is tempting

I've got the 11.5 x 15.4 inch volume of BACH Sonatas & Partitas published in 1973 by Paganiniana Publications (enlarged type, Eduard Herrmann, edition) that contains the entire S&P manuscript facimile as the last third of the book.

I would sure hate to have to read it from the facilmile.

I was pleased to discover that I had in fact memorized my fingerings and bowings.  Now for the rest.  The cosmic joke on me is that I had been playing for years from the old Dover edition, which is taken from the Bach-Gesellschaft edition, and I had already memorized the first 24 bars.  In measure eleven, the Dover version has DFaf (obviously someone thought it should be the same as that chord in the theme, though they went with the DFae the second time).  I was stunned, realized that everyone plays the DFae, and there it is in the manuscript (I had to check)!  In that spot, I think the DFaf is way harder than the DFae, with the open string, and suddenly those opening bars are sounding much better to me.  I knew something always seemed off...

I had found one other weird change of that sort years ago in the beginning of the A minor sonata.  They "corrected" the low G natural to G#, and I went to the manuscript version to put it right.  Are there others that anyone knows?  I read somewhere that this manuscript by Anna Magdalena wasn't discovered until after the Bach-Gesellschaft edition had been published, is that right?