Maestronet Forums

Lady Blunt videos on Tarisio.com

Omobono

I couldn't find the part in the video where it was played at auction. Was that on a different link?

By the way, I just got back com the Strad Museum in Cremona. Wow! I had a good look at the PG mold the Lady was made on. Of all the molds in the collection it looked like the most used.

I remember that sale in 1971 quite well. I went to the viewing but not the actual auction. It was an amazing sale - Sam Bloomfield was selling off his collection which included a large number of gold and tortoiseshell bows from all the important French makers. The Lady Blunt was Lot 21. I kept the catalogue - here are some scans:

10802354.7ef4f3da.560.jpg

10802355.89716268.560.jpg

10802356.8bed61ad.560.jpg

10802357.df332a5c.560.jpg

10802358.ead4224b.560.jpg

10802353.b01b2cfc.560.jpg

Ed

I couldn't find the part in the video where it was played at auction. Was that on a different link?

By the way, I just got back com the Strad Museum in Cremona. Wow! I had a good look at the PG mold the Lady was made on. Of all the molds in the collection it looked like the most used.

http://vimeo.com/24835187

I remember that sale in 1971 quite well. I went to the viewing but not the actual auction. It was an amazing sale - Sam Bloomfield was selling off his collection which included a large number of gold and tortoiseshell bows from all the important French makers. The Lady Blunt was Lot 21. I kept the catalogue - here are some scans:

10802354.7ef4f3da.560.jpg

10802355.89716268.560.jpg

10802356.8bed61ad.560.jpg

10802357.df332a5c.560.jpg

10802358.ead4224b.560.jpg

10802353.b01b2cfc.560.jpg

Ed

Hey, These images are great! Is there any chance you would be willing to share these? I would love to post them on Facebook.

Many of you will also have received the latest invitation to share some of the hype and excitement surrounding the forthcoming Tarisio auction of the Lady Blunt.

Tarisio on Lady Blunt

There's also a tantalising snipet of Menuhin playing the instrument at the 1971 auction.

capturehja.png

captureeww.png

Some of the pictures show it with an tuner for the e string and some show it without. ???

Ben

Some of the pictures show it with an tuner for the e string and some show it without. ???...

All the ones without also show a gut E string. Fine tuners are not necessary with gut strings. My guess is that there is a steel E string mounted in the pictures with the fine tuner.

Hey, These images are great! Is there any chance you would be willing to share these? I would love to post them on Facebook.

Do you mean the images of the Sotheby catalog or the new color pictures? The new ones are owned by Tarisio so you should check with them before using them - they have been a bit careful about sharing images I believe. The Sotheby ones are presumably still owned by Sothebys - I don't know what the restrictions are after 40 years. If they don't object I'm happy to share them.

Ed

..Who cut that awful bridge?

I remember that bridge archive website showing photos of some pretty terrible looking bridges from shops with the best reputations. I thought, ok so they had plenty of jobs where the quality of the bridge was given a time limit based on the price paid, or violin quality, etc... It still got a stamp. This makes me wonder though.

notice vuillaume states the violin had never been opened for 100yrs yet it comes with the bass bar already removed!!!

huh.gif What am I missing? I'm not seeing any incongruity. I'll take a stab at clarifying, just in case I understand what you're saying...

Vuillaume states that it was brought to him "in an unheard of condition.....it had never been opened". If you read closer, you'll notice that he never stated that the instrument came to him with the bass bar separate. He receives the instrument, he can see it still has it's original neck and fingerboard and as part of the process to bring the instrument up to "modern" specs, upon opening he discovers that the original bass bar is also present. Clearly he took it out, along with modifying the neck and replacing the fingerboard. It was at some point afterwards that he wrote his October letter. More than a month later for the certificate, he is consistent with his earlier assertion by stating that it "came into his possession.....without having been opened".

Am I anywhere even remotely close to helping?

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the images of the Sotheby catalog or the new color pictures? The new ones are owned by Tarisio so you should check with them before using them - they have been a bit careful about sharing images I believe. The Sotheby ones are presumably still owned by Sothebys - I don't know what the restrictions are after 40 years. If they don't object I'm happy to share them.

Ed

Hey Ed,

We were able to ask Sotheby's if they were ok with us using your images and they were fine with it. We then posted them onto Facebook based on your comments above. I am sorry if we did not reconfirm with you again, but we work working on a short time-line. Please accept my apologies. If you would like Tarisio to take the Sotheby's images down we will.

Scott