Sign in to follow this  
COB3

1st Cello Build; (Modelled after the 1712 "Davidov" Strad)

Inspiring thread Chet,

I start my first cello, after a long decision making or courage building time.

I hope I can finish it..

Thanks for sharing.

Selim, my friend, you have a long history of finishing what you begin, and doing an exceptionally good job. I am absolutely confident you will complete it, and that it will be a great cello. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it. I don't play, and haven't any recording equipment, so no one gets to hear mine.

Yes, and you are a cellist! You have just volunteered, my friend! :)

Folks: you WILL get to hear the cello!

:)

I'm going to try your f-hole template method. I have some plastic that's like face shield material'

FWIW I have found that F hole templates made with very stiff material can be quite difficult to use because they do not 'adapt' to the arching of the plate. This makes it very easy for them to wobble as the pencil line is being drawn.

The common see-through plastic that comes as packaging is perfectly adequate and much easier to cut out.

I have used both...decided I preferred the flexible, but thicker, and stiffer material from face-shields. (Not the type from grinders-- the type meant to wrap around the front of a hard-hat.)

That's OK...everyone has different preferences.

Looks real good, I have a feeling its gonna sound real nice. Keep us posted....And, have fun with that endpin :lol:

Guess I don't understand the joke. I've installed more than one bass endpin, so I don't expect any problems with a cello endpin. On the other hand, since the ebony endpin assembly I tried to order was out of stock, I think I am going to try to turn the plug out of Wenge, and just buy the rod, so, indeed I might have fun with it.

I got the back purfling completely laid out, and lightly incised. I went ahead and cut in (and picked out) the portion across the button, and about six inches across the bottom end, but we had to leave for the day, so that is as far as I got. No pictures yet.

Oh, the endpin thing was just based on my experiences of doing violin end pins{ physically easy, not lots of twisting} and then doing cello pins, a bit different in the amount of work, but after a bass, well, you know, it all easy. :P

Great thread! ;)

I look forward to more! :)

I agree. . . .great thread! You're either a brave fearless man or just blissfully oblivious to the global scrutiny your work is getting here. Both I'd say.

Respect :)

The global scrutiny doesn't bother me much, as I have never made a claim to being anything other than a rank beginner at lutherie. People, as a rule, don't tend to hammer nails that don't stick up. And ultimately, it is just a rather expensive box, with strings, that someone will use to make nice-sounding noises. In that light, I won't take myself too seriously, I hope. At best, it is a "first-attempt" cello. Maybe it will be decent. I hope so.

The built-in accountability of having an "audience", if you want to call it that, is helpful, in a way, as I am just a little less likely to blow it off and decide to do nothing on the cello today...though it still may happen from time to time.

Tomorrow is the first day of the Summer term, teaching welding, and for this term I have to teach at a shipyard a few miles the other direction from home. So, instead of stopping at the college on the way home from work, I will fight traffic the other direction for a few miles, teach for two hours, and then head home. I may not accomplish much on Monday and Wednesday evenings, as a result. We'll see.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, interest, and general good will. I will try to keep up the pace, but it may get a little slower, so be warned.

Chet

Nice clamping fixture. I should mimic that.

That quilted maple is really going to be pretty.

Press on!

Nice clamping fixture. I should mimic that.

That quilted maple is really going to be pretty.

Press on!

Thanks. I saw the clamping fixture in a library book that I xeroxed years ago, but didn't think to record the name of the book or the author. There were no photographs, only pen and ink drawings.

Thanks! I didn't get much done this weekend. I did, however, get one very good night's sleep, which I sorely needed. That may add to my zeal to get things done this week. The first week of classes usually is not too hectic...after that, the papers start piling in to be graded, and time becomes scarce, along with energy. But one never knows. Perhaps I will have the energy to put in a few hours per evening, and really get moving again.

Chet

All I got done tonight was to cut the purfling groove all the way around to half-depth, or a little more, and pick out all the wood to that depth. It is getting late, and I'm tired, so that will have to do for tonight. The maple is just a LOT tougher than the spruce, which is nice in some ways, as I am less likely to make a fatal error. :) But it wears me out to cut the grooves, too.

backgroove2.jpg

Hopefully I can finish the groove tomorrow, and get the purfling glued in place. Then I'll need to complete the final arching outside, so I can begin the interior work. One day at a time...

Hum! well, no, actually...I'm not. Not even comfortable with joking about that one.

I'm a beginner, not even up to the apprentice stage. Wish I had begun this stuff forty years ago. I might have gotten pretty good at it. Ah, well. I enjoy it. Find it therapeutic, etc. But I haven't the energy and strength I once had. Hands get tired, etc.

BTW, those monitor lizards are kinda intense-looking, aren't they? Not sure I would want to see one up close-- even a little one. I saw a close-up photo of one, moments after it hatched. I swear they are mean-looking from conception. Crocodiles are friendly-looking by comparison.

Hum! well, no, actually...I'm not. Not even comfortable with joking about that one.

I'm a beginner, not even up to the apprentice stage. Wish I had begun this stuff forty years ago. I might have gotten pretty good at it. Ah, well. I enjoy it. Find it therapeutic, etc. But I haven't the energy and strength I once had. Hands get tired, etc.

BTW, those monitor lizards are kinda intense-looking, aren't they? Not sure I would want to see one up close-- even a little one. I saw a close-up photo of one, moments after it hatched. I swear they are mean-looking from conception. Crocodiles are friendly-looking by comparison.

Ah, modesty. I hear it's only something you get with age, much like wisdom.

Currently, I find it's much more productive for me to be constantly self-assured and overconfident. It ensures I hold myself to the sort of standard that will eventually lend itself to madness, personality disorders, and alcoholism. Hey, that's how all great art is made, right? :rolleyes:

Monitor lizards might be frightening, but they've got absolutely nothing on velociraptors.

43245373-velociraptors.jpg

'ceptin one is alive and well, and occasionally eats things (probably a few people over the years) that we'd just as soon he didn't, and the other is possibly historical, but largely the product of a fiction-writer's fevered imagination. One is a rather unpleasant neighbor to some poor folk in Indonesia, but may provide for some tourist trade, while the other makes its creators a loooot of money, and never actually hurts anything...:)

Modesty and sobriety are not necessarily the same thing. Seeing ones' self clearly and knowing where one fits in the greater scheme of things is simply being honest with one's self.

When I was four years old, I was given a pair of blue plastic roller skates. They strapped them on my feet, and I went shuffling off up the sidewalk, the wheels barely turning. The neighbor man called out, smiling, "Learning to skate, are you?" I archly informed him that I was NOT "learning" to skate-- I was skating. The truth is, he saw things clearly; I did not. As a matter of fact, I never did learn to skate. I still hope to learn lutherie, and have made some progress. This thread is just inviting others to join in the process.

Several of those participating have been my teachers, either formally or informally. They see things clearly, too. I'm no longer the four-year-old who thought he could skate. But I'm no expert at fiddle-making either. Just learning.

You all are to much! Creepy animals and all.... I'm with Chet FWIW on the intense! +1 for doing what you are doing and sharing your work!

Is there a particular reason you choose the cello you did (just curious)?

So if you consider yourself a "I'm a beginner, not even up to the apprentice stage." I am pre-pre-pre apprentice but loving every minute of the fun and learning! to bad the day job gets in the way :) :) :) I know I certainly with I had started much earlier in life.

Thanks again for everything,

PF