authenticity and value of

I purchased a violin and bow with case at an estate sale recently. I know nothing about violins! It has VUILLAUME stamped on the bottom of the frog (i think that's what that piece if called). There is a sticker on the inside of it that reads Regraduated JJ Huedders (or maybe it's Huldders) 1921. It also has a bow but I cannot find any markings on it. Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased a violin and bow with case at an estate sale recently. I know nothing about violins! It has VUILLAUME stamped on the bottom of the frog (i think that's what that piece if called). There is a sticker on the inside of it that reads Regraduated JJ Huedders (or maybe it's Huldders) 1921. It also has a bow but I cannot find any markings on it. Any help would be appreciated.

The frog is the black thing on the bow. A bow sold by Vuillaume would have a rounded bottom. So would a copy of a bow sold by Vuillaume. To make the copies more recognizable, they are also stamped Vuillaume.

Does the label perhaps say Huddersfield?

There was a recent discussion of Vuillaume branded violins on another forum.

http://www.fiddlehangout.com/topic/22032

The basic result was that real Vuillaume violins are not branded near the button, and you most likely have a German factory violin from around 1900. Value would be based on condition, and how much work needs to be done to get into playing condition. Without knowing more about it, I would guess the value might be as much as a few hundred $.

There was a recent discussion of Vuillaume branded violins on another forum.

http://www.fiddlehangout.com/topic/22032

The basic result was that real Vuillaume violins are not branded near the button, and you most likely have a German factory violin from around 1900. Value would be based on condition, and how much work needs to be done to get into playing condition. Without knowing more about it, I would guess the value might be as much as a few hundred $.

Thank you Doug. I'm going to post more pics tomorrow. I want you to see exactly where the stamp is located on the front of the violin. I'll try to get more detailed, closer shots of it. Thanks again for your time!! I'm going to take it with me to the Treasure Hunters Roadshow tomorrow that will be in Arkansas (Wooooo pig soooie) along with a few other collectables. I'll keep you posted..

The frog is the black thing on the bow. A bow sold by Vuillaume would have a rounded bottom. So would a copy of a bow sold by Vuillaume. To make the copies more recognizable, they are also stamped Vuillaume.

Does the label perhaps say Huddersfield?

Addie, It's really hard to read but I'm going to look at it again with a magnifying glass and make sure. Thank you

Your first pictures were being posted as I was composing my first reply. Some of the pictures are kind of fuzzy, but the stamp on the bridge of an old violin usually has nothing to do with the maker. This violin has has been regraduated, refitted with fine tuners, and a new tailgut since it was built, and most likely, the bridge has been replaced.

++++++++++++

The violin looks ordinary to me. Expensive violins have dense grains usually on back and on front.

The kind of wood are harder to get. You can ask a shop to show you expensive violins and you will

get an impression how they would look like. A $800 violin and a $3000 violin, they look differently.

One can switch the price tags or labels, you still can tell which is which.

I took it to Treasure Hunters Raodshow and they said it possibly came from Sears and Roebuck or maybe a door-to-door salesman. :( Oh well, guess I'll just keep it as a display in my home. I appreciate all the feedback all of you have given.

Your first pictures were being posted as I was composing my first reply. Some of the pictures are kind of fuzzy, but the stamp on the bridge of an old violin usually has nothing to do with the maker. This violin has has been regraduated, refitted with fine tuners, and a new tailgut since it was built, and most likely, the bridge has been replaced.

How do you know it was regraduated,Doug?Looks like the bridge was put on without any sort of fitting or cutting.

Definitely not JTL, in my view this is a Czech factory violin (though I've seen a few such Czech violins with Daniel Moinel labels). Don't know who made it, but it looks most like a lower level Prokop-type violin. The varnish is typical, particularly how it finishes on the scroll and the shading on the back, also the heel and the scroll carving are consistent with Czech factories. Incidentally these bakelite latticed chinrests were made in Czechoslovakia, I would guess it's originalThese vioilins were bought and sold through department stores in the US, so the Sears & Roebuck theory is a good one.

I wouldn't despair, this violin is in nice condition, the spruce looks good, and it would probably be £800 in my local shop. Soundwise these violins (which generally have "copy of Antonius Stradivarius made in Czechoslovakia" labels) can be pretty good, and maybe the re-graduation was very successful!

Martin Swan Violins