Sign in to follow this  
C.B.Fiddler

Modern Bowmakers

Who are the Burgess/Darnton/Zyg/Alf's etc. of the bow making world currently? I did a search and it seems to have been a while since a thread like this has been posted in the Pegbox. It would be great to see some fresh new names in such a thread - possibly bring some new talent to the surface!

Thank you,

Chris

Well can I just mention John Stagg of Bristol, England, UK - I play with one of his and I am constantly meeting professionals who have them too! Plus he is, as they say in London, "a diamond geezer!" Also was once described by a luthier as "the most honest man I know!"

Janito   

Well can I just mention John Stagg of Bristol, England, UK

Just in the UK you forgot Bill Watson, Peter Oxley, Richard Wilson (:rolleyes:), Tim Baker etc etc.

zefir68   

Josh Henry makes some very nice bows. I come across some at different times and I always experience a whiplash moment: what was that bow????? Good sticks.

Keep'em coming! It be nice to hear from the U.S. as well as others!

Yes. I can see from your list of violin makers that you're rather US-centric. :P

Anyway, Noel Burke.

My case has nice examples by David Samuels, Pierre-Yves Fuchs, and Douglas Raguse. All are VSA Gold Medal Winners and fine makers. David is an old highschool classmate of mine, so that bow is very dear to me. The modern makers display wonderful craftsmanship and are a very good value.

Best,

Dwight

Yes. I can see from your list of violin makers that you're rather US-centric. :P

Anyway, Noel Burke.

Proud to be 'Merican, I guess! :P

I didn't intend to be so intra-national, I guess I was just pulling names that were closest to the fingertips...

Thanks,

Chris

AtlVcl   

How do you differentiate a good bow from a bad bow?

This is a serious question, and I don't have my tongue in my cheek.

A bad bow just sits there on the string and does nothing well.

A good bow does mostly what you need it to.

An excellent bow can do everything you can, and is a joy to play with, if a pain in the checkbook.

I can't comment on many of the makers mentioned because I have not tried their wares. I am a fan of Noel Burke's bows. Also recently a client showed me Gary Leahy violin bow which was very fine in all aspects.

Pebbles   

Steven DeCoux - I have a violin and a cello bow of his, they are great.

Also have some bows by Vito Vissicaro, I use those mainly in orchestra work.

Bottom line: so many names will be mentioned that the thread becomes meaningless.

And we can't have an interesting critical discussion along the lines of: "you must be joking, I wouldn't trust him to make a walking stick", because we are talking about real people with livings to earn.

Bit of a waste of time really.