Chad Sobodash

Straight Gouges or Bent Gouges?

Hmmmm..... that photo reminds me that I have a couple of hardwood "fish knockers" somewhere..... I don't fish much anymore but gonna have to go looking.

EDIT:  Found them! Even predrilled at the butt. Thanks Julian and Jim!

[If you have a fishing gear [especially salt water] outlet near you might be worth a browse ?]

I'm glad someone dug up this dead thread.  I'm about to start rough arching and was wondering what's the best gouge use,  I got one off ebay but not sure it's going to work well for that. 

On 12/9/2017 at 7:12 PM, Jim Bress said:

- snip -  Unfortunately I've lost touch with the guy who turned my other long handles so I'll need to figure out a new way to make one.  I don't have a lathe.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi JIm - surely you know at least one other guy with a lathe? He might even have a template of your long handles lying around somewhere. :-)

I also have one of those bent gouges - for use in the C-bout area - one handed ambidextrous is OK - it's an area that a bit finicky to carve  so a long handle shouldn't be necessary.

cheers edi

18 minutes ago, edi malinaric said:

Hi JIm - surely you know at least one other guy with a lathe? He might even have a template of your long handles lying around somewhere. :-)

I also have one of those bent gouges - for use in the C-bout area - one handed ambidextrous is OK - it's an area that a bit finicky to carve  so a long handle shouldn't be necessary.

cheers edi

Come to think of it, I do know a guy down south that has both a lathe and the ability to use it well.  The second part is harder to find the first.  I haven't emailed him in a while, so it's high time I did.  ;)  I'll finish gluing the lining tonight.  I broke quite a few strips in the process.  Bending strap can be tricky with one hand.

Cheers,

Jim