Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Davis

Lady Blunt - Detail Shots - FULL RESOLUTION

Hello all,

It occurred to me after uploading all my shots of the Lady Blunt to a gallery that the larger-resolution images may not be readily available to the casual user. The "enlarged" image in the gallery is a small fraction in size and resolution to the photo I uploaded. In reality, they original is there, but not accessible. (Perhaps I'm missing something) Anyway, I'm not sure why this is the case, but for some reason to see the original uploaded image of a photo in a gallery, you must first click on the thumbnail to make it larger, then right-click and choose <copy image location>, and then paste that information into the address bar. Then, you must remove the "med_" from before "gallery" before you can hit enter and access the full photo. Far from easy or convenient.

Anyway, I've been getting lots of request for the full-res pics, so here they are. Sorry for the size and wait, but I'm afraid there is no other way.

By the way, I would encourage any other visitors to the Lady Blunt to post their shots as well. This is a very important instrument and any photo documentation there is will be useful to somebody.

Again, I am not a professional photographer and my photos posted here are straight out of the camera. I did not alter them at all (except a few, but I left the original next to it). In many cases the photos are crooked, cropped badly, lighting is mostly on the dark side, and often part or the whole photo is slightly blurry. Owning to the fact that the room was dim, the violin was in a highly reflective glass case, and I didn't have a tripod (save for my wife's shoulder), the photos are the best they could be. I did shoot them at ISO 100 to decrease noise and my camera has image stabilization to allow longer exposure shots hand-held. The photos are from a Canon T2I (Rebel) are are 18MP in resolution. Hopefully someone will visit the next preview better prepared (i.e. Tripod, Tripod, Tripod). I got the feeling that some portable lighting would have been permissible too as long as it wouldn't be a big production.

Anyway, please manipulate and edit my photos as-needed to enhance whatever it is you are looking for. Feel free to repost them ad nauseam. Enjoy!

P.S. After uploading the following links, I see that although the pictures are indeed larger than what you would find in the gallery, they are still about 1/3 the size of my original shots. I will be happy to make CD of all my original shots should any of you be interested. I would require you send me a CD and a pre-stamped envelope to send it back to you.

-or-

Here is a link for the actual full resolution pics. It is .rar archive 211MB in size. You do not need to pay for an account with Fileserve, simply click on the the "Free User - Slower Download" option at the lower right corner of the page. You will need to download WinRar to extract the pics. PM me if you have any trouble.

FULL RESOLUTION - Lady Blunt - Boston 2011

MEDIUM RESOLUTION SHOTS:

gallery_30405_134_4410596.jpg

gallery_30405_134_115407.jpg

gallery_30405_134_1932380.jpg

gallery_30405_134_117087.jpg

gallery_30405_134_3897179.jpg

gallery_30405_134_2736431.jpg

gallery_30405_134_298873.jpg

gallery_30405_134_179506.jpg

gallery_30405_134_855705.jpg

gallery_30405_134_4000434.jpg

Any of the scroll?

Sadly no. As the scroll wasn't lit well at all, they didn't make the cut along with about 60 other incredibly blurry photos. Lets hope someone else will catch it in London (hint, hint). ;)

Here is a link for the actual full resolution pics. It is .rar archive 211MB in size. You do not need to pay for an account with Fileserve, simply click on the the "Free User - Slower Download" option at the lower right corner of the page. [/b][/size] You will need to download WinRar to extract the pics. PM me if you have any trouble.

FULL RESOLUTION - Lady Blunt - Boston 2011

A monopod does not focus the lens, most of the photos above are not well focused.

The photos on the Tarisio site are good, but the ones above show some varnish texture, for what it's worth.

Jeremy, a million, million, million thanks!!! I really (really) wish The Strad would do a poster + feature article on this one.

What lens did you use ? A manual focus prime is good, you can rest the end of the lens on the glass cabinet, meaning longer exposures, smaller f stops, sharper photos.

Cheers.

I used the standard kit zoom lenses, an 18-70mm, and a 70mm-150mm. I do have a 50mm Prime Focus at 1.8, but I would not have been able to get the close ups with it. Also, it was impossible to rest my hand or arm anywhere. I tried my wifes shoulder for a few, but she was getting a little impatient by this point (3 hours in). The close-ups of the varnish were only possible with her help though... There was a roped off partition around the case, and a dared not get too close. I would like to make front page news someday, but not that way... :rolleyes:

monopod!

I do have an excellent tripod and monopod, but alas they were left at home in my haste to get there. I just had some oral surgery performed and was a little loopy at the time, so I'm surprised I even remembered the camera. At any rate, for some reason, I thought photography would be prohibited - as it often is in museums for temporary traveling exhibits. I suppose I'll know better for next time. Hopefully my experiences will help prepare the next photographer at the London viewing. I actually like to use a tripod, and then set the Fstop extremely small (f22), and shoot 15-20second exposures. The detail is usually incredible, especially for macro details. I'm visiting the Smithsonian in a few weeks and will try to get some pics of the instruments in their collection. Quite a nice selection if memory serves. I'll call ahead and see if they allow photography (and tripods).

BTW, the 'real' color of the varnish is more like in your pictures or like in the Tarisio catalog?

I would say that, to the eye, the color in my photos is accurate to the lighting in the room at the time. That being said, the lighting was extremely dark with only incandescent bulbs high up in the ballroom and no dedicated lighting for the display case. I loved the color as it appeared much more than the official photos (for what it's worth.)

I'm glad some of you find these photos useful. Believe me , I do realize they could be better. Professional photographer I am not. I'm glad at least a few of them came out sharp. Honestly, in those conditions, I did not expect any to work out.

Let's hope someone shows up to the London showing with the right gear. Tripod, remote shutter cable, and perhaps a portable light of some kind. Hopefully they too will post their shots here.

I'm glad some of you find these photos useful. Believe me , I do realize they could be better. Professional photographer I am not.

I wouldn't worry about it. The photos are still very useful to see. Thank you. Good views of the texture!

Jeremy, a million, million, million thanks!!! I really (really) wish The Strad would do a poster + feature article on this one.

Do you think that you would pay extra for The Strad *IF* it had a poster of the Lady Blunt in it, and that the extra went to helping the tsunami relief efforts? :mellow:

Jeremy, a BIG thank you!

Not only the texture is interesting, but also the 3D sense of space. Even the "bad" lighting may prove useful sometimes, since the reflexions here really help to appreciate the arching, the recurve, etc. All things that are desperately not there on conventional shots!

Texture shots in an auction room display case are almost impossible to take. These shots add more information (about surface texture) to what Tarisio's fine portraits show.

Great job, Jeremy!!!

Stay Tuned.

Mike

I was there and I'm amazed you got the shots you got. They're great. The lighting was poor, at best. Your color looks very close to what I saw in the case. With the fiddle out in decent light, it probably is a bit lighter colored. Again, thank you for your effort.

Berl