Maestronet Forums

Newly Published Book "The Sound of Stradivari"

pt3

9 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

Thank you Szymon,

With the risk of launching another avalanche of hatred (I really hope not)

This thread could have been about objectives in Patrick's research. This could happen if statements would be discussed in a questionable way.

As for one example of a quote:

This refers to the content of the book. There are two methods described,  Contemporary way (making plates ready before closing) and "old masters" way, purfling and channel after closing the soundbox. Maybe bad phrasing but true in the context of this.

Just an example

Hi Peter, in the past I have largely avoided this thread and refrained from any negative comments. Below is a timeline of my conversation with Mr. Kreit with my editorial comments. I leave it to MNrs to decide who has made it 'personal'.

On 6/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, curious1 said:

Dear Mr. Kreit,

I don't believe there is any animus toward you expressed here. You do however invite a heightened level of criticism when you title your book 'The Sound of Stradivari'! Especially so when at the most basic level the method of construction described in your book is at odds with the generally accepted view of Stradivari's methods (i.e.: the plates are finished (outline, purfling, purfling, and the recurve area) after the box is closed).

Perhaps a less dogmatic approach as well as a less grandiose title would have served you better.

The above is a reasonable beginning to our conversation. 

On 6/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, Patrick KREIT said:

In my book, I propose tuning and entirely finishing the back and top plates before gluing them onto the ribs. More reliable and easier to master, this is the method I have chosen to write my book, because it is used by the majority of modern violin makers.

It is possible to tune the free materials first, as the old masters did, and to then proceed with inlaying the purfling on the closed sounding box – the final result is the same. You, Andrew Ryan, use this technique; consequently, the copy of my book you have in your possession is of no use to you.

Both techniques are valid.  Whoever wants to work by candlelight is free to do so.

If you have a better title for my book, which indeed explains how to obtain the sound of the old Italians, let me know.

www.kreitpatrick.com

Mr. Kreit, begins reasonably enough with an explaination of his choice of construction method. In the second paragraph however he literally decides to make the discussion personal by identifying me by name (as opposed to by my MN persona). Information he could only have gained in confidence. I believe Mr. Kreit has a particular dislike for anonymity on MN. I assume he meant to intimidate or shame me in some way by this tactic. This certainly did Irritate me.

In the last sentence, with dripping condescension, he asks me to offer an alternate title.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:12 PM, curious1 said:

I think your book contains useful information but suffers from a certain narrow vision, poor translation, and dogmatic principles.

I just reread the first chapter from my copy. One might think you actually visited Del Gesù in his prison cell. If I had to come up with a title it would be perhaps:

Tightly Wound: An Historical Fantasy 

or How Vuillaume made Stradivari Great Again.

Okay, I admit I'm a little ticked off at this point but his book is very dogmatic and confines itself to very narrow definition of the 'Sound of Stradivari'. Criteria which a large majority of 18th century Italian violins would not meet. More on this in a separate commentary.

The first chapter in his book is filled with grand claims of acoustic knowledge and practice by the Cremonese etc. trouble is there is not a single citation of source. Hence my title 'An Historical Fantasy'. I will give an example in a later commentary.

On 6/6/2017 at 7:45 PM, Patrick KREIT said:

Yes indeed, I visited del Gesùs in his prison cell: he dictated my book to me. This is why I have succeeded in making better violns than yours.

Did you pay Reuning for the copy of my book in your possession?

www.kreitpatrick.com

Now we are in full swing. I am accused of being a thief. 

Mr Reuning and I have had a long and, I think, successful relationship. One that we continue to this day. I hate that his name is brought into this cheap little drama. The book that I have is indeed a copy purchased by Mr. Reuning. A copy I asked him to order. Mr Reuning has a large library and I borrow books from him on a regular basis, he is generous that way.

Or, for all Mr Kreit knows, it may have been given to me. Clearly though he is disparraging my character.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:36 PM, curious1 said:

No, I xeroxed 10 copies and gave them out to my friends.

Now, fully pissed, I'm just trolling.

17 minutes ago, curious1 said:

Hi Peter, in the past I have largely avoided this thread and refrained from any negative comments. Below is a timeline of my conversation with Mr. Kreit with my editorial comments. I leave it to MNrs to decide who has made it 'personal'.

Well, there is an almost seven years history of Patrick and Peter making grandiose claims on MN with that book as the basis and an identically long history of themselves refusing to engage in any meaningful conversation whatsoever. No need for you to explain anything, things are pretty clear. We appreciate a maker/restorer of your caliber commenting appropriately on the "book" despite the obvious inconvenience to yourself. In this case unfortunately and I am sorry to say it, we are dealing with two individuals for whom normal might not apply.

57 minutes ago, Patrick KREIT said:

Perhaps ! In all, I'm not forced to make to sell my antique violins.

perhaps , ...Perhaps he understands that just as anyone player maker or audience,might have a bias toward old , or new, the tone first, must be good to accomplish the goal. Like buying a car , It must do some mechanical things to sell, however a  paint job in a different  color can make , or break the sale. Many of our most renowned makers have chosen this route because of well entrenched views held by audiences . personally I generally prefer the variety of surface texture and sunset sun /rise colors associated with  old and new antiqued stuff , like a new story.

Peter , It's important ...to me ... that if you quote me with the implication that I am simply being cruel, please keep the context , my response was a direct answer to a direct question. " why the criticism" to wit ,I gave a reasonable answer and received no response,. perhaps the whole thing would simply vaporize if MR Kriet would show any humility with a statement similar to ...Sorry for the misunderstanding , or I can see how some might take offence at the language , followed up by perhaps a question like , what would people here suggest would be more understandable.

Perhaps ... I know I can be guilty of overthinking and like a dog on a bone ..... 

I think it would be an act of kindness if the administrators would put this thread out of its misery.

In many blogs, outing of a contributor by revealing their name or identifying information without permission (as Mr. Kreit did) is a cause for banning.

Just sayin'.

23 minutes ago, James M. Jones said:

Peter , It's important ...to me ... that if you quote me with the implication that I am simply being cruel, please keep the context

Sorry about that, I was on Ipad and didn't get the quoting to work. I just tried to find an example for a hopeless attempt to change direction, in this post:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/323421-newly-published-book-the-sound-of-stradivari/&do=findComment&comment=765807

I'm leaving this thread, hope Jeffery puts it to sleep.

6 hours ago, sospiri said:

All we need is an original unmolested Stradivari violin to examine. Do you know where I can find one?

Yes. I'll need your name / identification, address, statement of assets and obviously, insurance. And money of course. Renting those things is expensive.

2 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

I think it would be an act of kindness if the administrators would put this thread out of its misery.

In many blogs, outing of a contributor by revealing their name or identifying information without permission (as Mr. Kreit did) is a cause for banning.

In this particular instance, y'all's wish is my command. I'm locking the thread.

Someone else must have done the outing or he wouldn't have known the ID.  In this case I won't be banning Mr. Kreit, but I will review any of his posts before they appear on the board in an effort to prevent any farm animals from be catapulted over the castle walls at the invading horde. :) 

I hope we can all relax a little now.