Maestronet Forums

help for wheelchair bound

jezzupe

Hi, I'm Jessupe, I mostly post at the pegbox as a maker. I have a young man that I am helping. He is unfortunately confined to a wheelchair. I am teaching him about making and wood in general. He has some limitations with what he can do, we try to make jigs and what not so as to enable him to do as many steps and tasks that he can, but we must be safe and not have him do things that could be dangerous based on his inability to properly hold and operate tools.

I am not the worlds best player, but I know basic playing and have been showing him what I can. He really likes to play. With his injury, his paralysis starts in the upper mid back region, this makes it hard for him to achieve proper posture while holding the violin.

Are there any "jigs" devices that anyone knows of that a wheelchair bound person can use to help with holding the violin properly and or for prolonged periods of time?

Or is this on the list of new inventions for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thnaks

• 1 month later...

I'm certainly not trying to be pointlessly PC here, but it might be more helpful to think of his wheelchair as something he uses for mobility, rather than a sort of cage in which he's "confined". Much like the jigs you're making and searching for, really.

As for something to support the fiddle while playing, why wouldn't something like a more extensive Kuhn shoulder rest work? I.e., a 3- or 4-contact-point cradle that fastens onto. say, the front of the left armrest such that it doesn't interfere with propelling the chair (or is it electric?) and, by a series of elbow joints, can be positioned to suit his muscular abilities. I'm guessing that he might do well with the fiddle held in the old-time fiddler's chest position rather than under the chin, since he could then finger with his left elbow supported by the armrest which would be much less fatiguing.

I can imagine fabricating it out of 0.06 sheet aluminum and neoprene tubing for the cradle, and 0.25 or 0.375 aluminum rod for the support. The elbow joints might be a problem to find off the shelf, but they'd probably be easy enough, if tedious, to fab out of aluminum stock.

Jezzupe:

This might be the concept you need. Mark Wood Electric violins makes a v-shaped violin that has a strap and something else underneath to hold it in place without hands.

Added Bonus!!! Check out this link with him and Rachel Barton Pine using these amplified violins on a Heavy Metal orchestral composition:

Mark Wood Violins Link

Also: Tracy Silverman uses a strap assembly on his six string semi fretted violin:

post-6650-0-40885500-1305726981_thumb.jpg

Jezzupe:

This might be the concept you need. Mark Wood Electric violins makes a v-shaped violin that has a strap and something else underneath to hold it in place without hands.

Added Bonus!!! Check out this link with him and Rachel Barton Pine using these amplified violins on a Heavy Metal orchestral composition:

Mark Wood Violins Link

Also: Tracy Silverman uses a strap assembly on his six string semi fretted violin:

post-6650-0-40885500-1305726981_thumb.jpg

Hey, thanks, thats a good idea, I love that Barton-Pine loves metal!!!...she's not the only "violin head" that loves metal{we gotta stick together ;) }...

here is my latest one...its metal!!! epic metal...IT HAS ADULT LANGUAGE....so keep the kiddies away...but turn it up!!

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=162213

I really like the NS rig, but its way out of his price range, so far, so good, with both playing,making and repairing, thanks for everyones help. :)

Time for the Kool Aid....yes I'm feeling a little thirsty these days.....nice work Jezzuppe!

Glad the concept is apropos.

Your friend might draw a little inspiration from this fellow too:

Joey Corpus (exceptional NY teacher who is wheelchair bound)

PS: yes the NS rig is nice. I have the 4 string model. With the right amp/speaker cab it has a pretty authentic sound.

I'm guessing this strap concept could be adapted to acoustic violins too.

• 4 weeks later...

Jessupe,

The Mark Wood violin with the support system is called the Viper:

l.jpg

I've played them and they are fine, if a little weird since I like the feel of the fiddle against neck.

What about a Bonmusica shoulder rest?

Fiddleheads_Bon_Musica_pizz_lg.jpg

41-Lg4-TarL.jpg

Also, what kind of music does he want to play? Trad fiddle that doesn't involve much past 1st position and can be played in the upper part of the bow might be good. You can get away with drooping your fiddle a little more than strict, classical positioning.

ALB