Caussin violins?

Hello experts. I'm trying to find out more about Caussin violins but I'm finding very little information on the Web. I understand this was a French workshop that produced higher quality copy instruments. I also understand that some or many Caussins tended to be antiqued. I've got one (or so labeled)from Nicholas Caussin 1862 that is a copy of an English Duke fiddle -- even with the wax seal on the button. Can anybody point me to more info?

All help appreciated.

thx

Randy

Hello experts. I'm trying to find out more about Caussin violins but I'm finding very little information on the Web. I understand this was a French workshop that produced higher quality copy instruments. I also understand that some or many Caussins tended to be antiqued. I've got one (or so labeled)from Nicholas Caussin 1862 that is a copy of an English Duke fiddle -- even with the wax seal on the button. Can anybody point me to more info?

All help appreciated.

thx

Randy

I owned a violin for 40 years which was sold for me as a Caussin by Heinls (Toronto). They even brought it to Chicago for a second opinion. For many years we had believed it was a B.S.Fendt (english) until it was realized the timeline didn't match up. It was very well constructed and convincingly antiqued and labelled as a Rocca. It was a fine instrument but always a bit hard for me to play and I have obtained several more satisfying violins for considerably less money since. The realized price to the buyer was $23,000.00 4 years ago.