Sign in to follow this  
liquidripples

Thinking in movable solfege

Hello, I have a question about learning the keyboard, but really the answer can apply to music in general.

I hope it's not too amateur for this board, though I do feel I could get some quality answers here.

My problem is this:

When I hear melodies I can listen to them in solfege, so that I can hear most individual notes by the names like do,re, me, etc... I can hear modulations also and when the key switch happens my "do" or "la" moves to the new root note.

But when I read music (I'm still a slow reader) or try to improvise in any key besides C major or A minor I'm unable to move my do or la to a different root - so in this respect my do is strongly attached to the note C.

I really feel that being able to move around the solfege freely will help me greatly in learning further. I have some ideas on how to achieve that, but I also wanted to ask for advice on what works best and if there are some pitfalls that are not so effective and could be avoided.

Eventually I'd like to freely improvise in any key and be able to read piano music while transposing it "on the fly".

This seems like a really difficult task to me so thank you much in advance for any advice,

lr

Hello, I have a question about learning the keyboard, but really the answer can apply to music in general.

I hope it's not too amateur for this board, though I do feel I could get some quality answers here.

My problem is this:

When I hear melodies I can listen to them in solfege, so that I can hear most individual notes by the names like do,re, me, etc... I can hear modulations also and when the key switch happens my "do" or "la" moves to the new root note.

But when I read music (I'm still a slow reader) or try to improvise in any key besides C major or A minor I'm unable to move my do or la to a different root - so in this respect my do is strongly attached to the note C.

I really feel that being able to move around the solfege freely will help me greatly in learning further. I have some ideas on how to achieve that, but I also wanted to ask for advice on what works best and if there are some pitfalls that are not so effective and could be avoided.

Eventually I'd like to freely improvise in any key and be able to read piano music while transposing it "on the fly".

This seems like a really difficult task to me so thank you much in advance for any advice,

lr

If you want to learn the keyboard, it would appear, to me, that you should do just that. It is my belief, and I cannot prove this, that you should concentrate on ONE item at a time. If you try to tie-in learning the keyboard and attempts to relate that to other items at the same time, you are delaying your learning the keyboard.

Only after you become well acquiainted with the keyboard should you attempt other things.

Anyway, that is my opinion.

Ben

That's a great ability to have. Keep developing it. Can you also sing what you can hear? In other words, can you sight sing, looking at music, using solfege? If you can, then it's just a matter of time before you'll transfer what you can sing to the piano or to any other instrument.

lr

I was never good at the piano although music school training required keyboard classes. So, my advice is not worth much. But here it is:

--Be able to play all the major and minor scales (harmonic and melodic) without music, 3 or 4 octaves, easily and quickly.

--Be able to play the chord progression I iii vi IV ii V V7 I in all the major keys and also the corresponding progression in the (harmonic) minor keys, without music, easily, and quickly.

--Take some simple tunes, like Christmas carols, that you know by hearing. Play melody in right hand. Harmonize with chords in the left hand. Do this all without music and in a number of different keys, same tune. If you have no idea what to do with the left hand, then it's time for a music theory course.

Hope some more accomplished pianist will be able to offer more help.