Pictures of the outside AND inside?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a resource where one could see repair photos of old, great, or not-so-great instruments. Of course, I'm sure someone here at MN has horded pictures like this that are far better than could be found commercially. Lets see 'em...

I have a lot of photos as I try to document repairs. There are too many to post on Maestronet. Are you looking for anything in particular?

You can't tell me that someone out there doesn't have a picture of a Stradivari, Amati, Guarneri, etc. open during repair. I would think this sort of thing would be common here. If the heavy hitters aren't available, how about any pseudo-important makers? I would love to see (as I am sure other would as well) the interior construction of instruments - observing the differences from maker to maker. We see the outside all the time, but there is much more to it than that. Also, it would be great to see what work has been done to them over the years.

P.S. If there aren't any photos to share (willing or not) of this kind, perhaps someone can recommend a good book on the subject...

Sorry, I didn't intend to goad. I simply wanted to rephrase my request. That being said, if Google had worked for me I wouldn't have started the thread in the first place. If you have a link to share though, I would love to see it.

At any rate, who is more likely than the folks here in the pegbox to have the pictures I'm looking for? (Or at least tell me that they don't exist...) I think that is a reasonable request, no?

You can't tell me that someone out there doesn't have a picture of a Stradivari, Amati, Guarneri, etc. open during repair. I would think this sort of thing would be common here.

Not sure how "common" it is here... How many of us do you think work on them regularly?

Several members have posted external views.

A few of us have posted internal views. You'll find that most are partial views, not full views.... and in my case, for internal views, the maker may, or may not, be mentioned... and I don't believe I've ever mentioned the year or title. I don't think exposing the internal surfaces (in a way the specific instrument might be identified) of an expensive instrument on the net is terribly discrete... so, you'll probably have to be satisfied with what members here have elected to share.

There are very few publications with internal views of classic instruments... and those that have them are not "filled" with them. One here, one there...

Thanks for that explanation. I wouldn't have thought such pictures would be so rare, but what you say makes sense. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I thought that members of MN regularly serviced Strads, but rather that since the techniques of the early masters are so thoroughly studied and copied among luthiers here, that there would be a pictorial reference of some sort to draw from.

At any rate I would be happy with a snippet here and there! Perhaps we could forget the big guys and post some internal pics of good early 19th century construction. If external views are available as well, That would be nice. Of course, names could be omitted to protect the innocent... ;)

www.alfstudios.com/Shop/process/process.html

patch

Those are some very good clear picturs. It's interesting to see how white the old wood is underneat the thin oxidation/ageing of the surface. And I wonder what technique he used to match the color of the patch to the original wood to make it look old?

Those are some very good clear picturs. It's interesting to see how white the old wood is underneat the thin oxidation/ageing of the surface. And I wonder what technique he used to match the color of the patch to the original wood to make it look old?

The wood you are seeing is a previous soundpost patch, so should be new/fresh looking.

Tea.

The wood you are seeing is a previous soundpost patch, so should be new/fresh looking.

Tea.

You're right! I didn't think of that untill after I posted that comment :P

I'd still like to know how he colored it to make it look like the rest of the old wood.

Could be-- I can't seem to find it any more...maybe it is no longer out there. As I recall the stated value was 3 million--obviously not a Strad--but I really do not recall the maker; just the gut-wrench I felt, watching him expertly removing the top. :-)

Aha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?fmt=18&gl=CA&hl=en&v=zDGphZaQoSw

bingo!

The good stuff starts about 3 minutes into the video, or so; you were right--it is an 1853 Vuillaume. And they never stated the value of that one-- it was a different one they discussed prices on.

There is a video (youtube, of course) of Réné Morél opening a multi-million-dollar cello. I can't recall the maker, but as I recall, the video showed both outside and inside.

You may be thinking of the 1707 "Countess of Stanlein" Strad. Morel's restoration is recounted in the book "The Countess of Stanlein Restored" by Nicholas Delbanco. The book contains a few black and white photographs of the instrument apart.

You may be thinking of the 1707 "Countess of Stanlein" Strad. Morel's restoration is recounted in the book "The Countess of Stanlein Restored" by Nicholas Delbanco. The book contains a few black and white photographs of the instrument apart.

Some of that is online, too...but it was the youtube above that I was thinking of...in fact, I had forgotten that Réné was the one who did the restoration of the "Countess of Stanlein". Thanks for the reminder.

I have a lot of photos as I try to document repairs. There are too many to post on Maestronet. Are you looking for anything in particular?

I would like to put up pictures, but I have a few issues to think about. I would have to make sure we had permission to post from the owner of the instrument. I could possibly get it, but maybe a little too much work for a Maestronet post. If you are serious about wanting to see some things to help in your repairs, you can contact me privately and maybe we can give you a little help.

There are many repair threads including photos on Maestronet submitted by a number of participants and dating back several years. Try using the search function and include the information you're interested in (bass bar crack, soundpost patch, doubling, button graft, collar, back crack, cleats, etc.) and see what comes up.

If members think there is a particular thread, or threads, that might be good to include in the reference category (first subject in the forum), let me know by notifying me through the personal message function (be sure to provide the URL corresponding to the thread(s)). I will consider adding to the list based on interest and the quality of information contained.

There are many repair threads including photos on Maestronet submitted by a number of participants and dating back several years. Try using the search function and include the information you're interested in (bass bar crack, soundpost patch, doubling, button graft, collar, back crack, cleats, etc.) and see what comes up.

If members think there is a particular thread, or threads, that might be good to include in the reference category (first subject in the forum), let me know by notifying me through the personal message function (be sure to provide the URL corresponding to the thread(s)). I will consider adding to the list based on interest and the quality of information contained.

I would also suggest using the google site search eg - keywords site:www.maestronet.com/forum

Just wondering if anyone knows of a resource where one could see repair photos of old, great, or not-so-great instruments. Of course, I'm sure someone here at MN has horded pictures like this that are far better than could be found commercially. Lets see 'em...

http://www.thelovelytrudella.com/strad.html

http://www.woodsoundstudio.com/restoration-f-stradivari.htm

http://goodrichviolinshop.com/photos.html

http://www.stringrepair.com/violin_repair_restoration.htm

http://www.thestringdoctor.com/French%20Violin%20Repair.html