Maestronet Forums

Steps to become a world class violin dealer

violin_dork

Since youy already know how to play the violin why don't you just become a world class violinist instead?

Dario didn't deal instruments, he was purely an appraiser. (as far as I know)

Oded

The reason why I wanted to take up Economics as a second major was because I never wanted to become a violinist. Studying violin was just a mean to get scholarship toward my education. I have never loved playing the violin the same way I love violin itself. As I am sure many of you know, it is a passion and life style. With this hobby, I was able to make a revenue of around 70k for the past 4 years from sourcing violins from skinner to garage sale and repairing the violin then put the violin back into players hands. I have tasted the fruits of success and now I want more. This is why I want to become a dealer, being able to make money while doing something I genuinely love.

The reason why I wanted to take up Economics as a second major was because I never wanted to become a violinist. Studying violin was just a mean to get scholarship toward my education. I have never loved playing the violin the same way I love violin itself. As I am sure many of you know, it is a passion and life style. With this hobby, I was able to make a revenue of around 70k for the past 4 years from sourcing violins from skinner to garage sale and repairing the violin then put the violin back into players hands. I have tasted the fruits of success and now I want more. This is why I want to become a dealer, being able to make money while doing something I genuinely love.

Two points, now I say I wish I could do;

-Getting a scholarship and finished the education in violin:I wish I could do that, being a violonist was my dream.

-Revenue of around 70k for the past 4 years:I wish I had that talent for trade, at the age of 22, or even at this age.

Although, it is not clear to me, which one is greater passion, economy or violin, but, both looks good to me.:)

You have done great opening,..

Two points, now I say I wish I could do;

-Getting a scholarship and finished the education in violin:I wish I could do that, being a violonist was my dream.

-Revenue of around 70k for the past 4 years:I wish I had that talent for trade, at the age of 22, or even at this age.

Although, it is not clear to me, which one is greater passion, economy or violin, but, both looks good to me.:)

You have done great opening,..

Sorry I meant to say Violin is my passion, not economics.

Get your foot in the door!

Accepting Applications for Marketing and Office Manager at Alf Studios

Do you have the skills?

It's a start.

Wow, what an opportunity for someone who is at the beginning of a career in the business side of the violin.

Who would have thought that such a plum of a job would be advertised at all. You would expect that in the clubby world of violin trading, that job would be filled on the hush-hush, by word of mouth to favored friends, not by public announcement.

Then again, from everything I've learned about Gregg Alf, he is the consummate selfless, supportive person, who freely shares any opportunity he is involved in, including, apparently, employment in his studio.

Wow, what an opportunity for someone who is at the beginning of a career in the business side of the violin.

Who would have thought that such a plum of a job would be advertised at all. You would expect that in the clubby world of violin trading, that job would be filled on the hush-hush, by word of mouth to favored friends, not by public announcement.

Then again, from everything I've learned about Gregg Alf, he is the consummate selfless, supportive person, who freely shares any opportunity he is involved in, including, apparently, employment in his studio.

It's only an opportunity if he gets the job.

The best advice Bob Bein ever gave me was to consider your sources, attach yourself tho those whose advice you could trust, and don't listen to or solicit advice from anyone who didn't have a reason to know the subject he was speaking about. He considered information as negative or positive, not neutral, and stressed filling your head with positive things. One of his favorite saying was that ten bad opinions don't equal one good one, even if all ten agree.

The best advice Bob Bein ever gave me was to consider your sources, attach yourself whose advice you could trust, and don't listen to or solicit advice from anyone who didn't have a reason to know the subject he was speaking about. He considered information as negative or positive, not neutral, and stressed filling your head with positive things. One of his favorite saying was that ten bad opinions don't equal one good one, even if all ten agreed.

And if those ten bad opinions jumped off a cliff, would you follow? B)

Or something like that was the best advice I got from my grade seven teacher.

Of course I may have gotten it wrong a little, since it's hard to remember which teacher, and what year it was that I heard that, but still, all in all, I spent the best five years of my life in grade seven! :blink:

It's kinda nice to noaw I gots sometin guud outta grade sleven, ain't it jusst soo. :huh::o:D

Best advice Michael, coming from someone I would listen/solicit advice from! ;)

The best advice Bob Bein ever gave me was to consider your sources, attach yourself whose advice you could trust, and don't listen to or solicit advice from anyone who didn't have a reason to know the subject he was speaking about. He considered information as negative or positive, not neutral, and stressed filling your head with positive things. One of his favorite saying was that ten bad opinions don't equal one good one, even if all ten agreed.

Bein seldom practiced what he preached.

@NewNewbie, (edit by removal)

Please accept my apology for the previous comment.

He considered information as negative or positive, not neutral, and stressed filling your head with positive things.

Hmmm.... sounds similar to what can happen if one pays too much attention to ugly badly made violins rather than pretty nicely made ones. :) Robert did have a way with words at times, didn't he.

Some of the advice in this thread is entertaining, however.

@NewNewbie,

Seems you've got a brown spot on the tip of your nose. Ya wanna wipe that off right quick like?

I'm sure NewNewbie can take care of himself, but I personally tire of your quips and snipping. It's kinda' gross. Clean it up or take another vacation from the board. Your choice. You have had several warnings in the past, so for now, I'll be previewing the posts you submit before they appear (if they appear) on the forum.

Bein seldom practiced what he preached.

@NewNewbie, (edit by removal)

Please accept my apology for the previous comment.

Accepted! ;)

No harm done, as NewNewbie has been there, done that! lol :D

But tell me, what gave me away? How did you know/figure it out?

I always thought that no one would figure out who NewNewbie is, but I will admit that when it comes to noses. lol :o

I thought that the .... internet would protect my secret identity, but hey maybe I was out smarted by you know who???? :lol:

I have been accused of many things, so I will admit that I have been known to ....do this well. But hey don't we all to some degree or other? :mellow:

BTW do you own a dog? :huh:

If so then watch-out because I hear that the scuttle butt is ....

Don't mess with the cat! :o:lol:

Now I'll have to be on my best behavior since I have revealed my secret idenkitty! :unsure:

So just let me add that I think that Jeffery is doing a reeaalllllyyyy excellent job of moderating this form, and should get a medal or two for doing so! Please a round of applause for Jeffery!!!

What's that you say??? :huh:

Okay!

That is very true. But I will try to be optimistic about jobs.

Violin_dork,

You might consider that even though you still have 1 and 1/2 semesters remaining before you're done with school, you could offer some of the tasks in the Alf job description before you finish school by doing them long distance, electronically or through the internet. You don't have to be in Ann Arbor for these tasks. For example:

Payroll: You can do all the computation required for payroll, do all the payments needed to be made to employees and to the state and federal governments electronically or through the mail.

Website maintenance: That can be done anywhere there is an on-line computer.

Social networking: Same as above.

You don't want to tell Gregg Alf that you still have a semester and a half left of school, but that you have only a semester and a half left of school, after which you'd be delighted to reside in Ann Arbor and travel anywhere you're needed. And until then you are knowledgeable and qualified to perform some important tasks without being in Ann Arbor. You will of course have to substantiate your knowledge and qualifications.

By the way, I bet you also meet the qualification of knowing languages in addition to English.