Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench?

Craig Tucker

The burn goes down to the wood on the edge? That will be a fun repair. :)

Yep, the edge is now missing in that portion. The fiddle's gone for a last gig this evening and will be back next week.

I still don't know how bad it is, but suspect pretty bad!... I'll have to see whether the wood (or the charcoal! :( ) goes right through. If not and there is still wood on the inside, I might try pushing it out. Otherwise a through patch...

He laid it on a table but didn't see the lit tea light...

Yep, the edge is now missing in that portion. The fiddle's gone for a last gig this evening and will be back next week.

I still don't know how bad it is, but suspect pretty bad!... I'll have to see whether the wood (or the charcoal! :( ) goes right through. If not and there is still wood on the inside, I might try pushing it out. Otherwise a through patch...

He laid it on a table but didn't see the lit tea light...

Ugh ... performers. Don't they just make you sick sometimes?

That's a nice looking instrument and I like it except... somehow it looks strange to have such bright new looking fittings on an antique looking instrument. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing dark ebony.

Thanks Mike. The color of the accessories was my concern too. But looking at the real instrument (not the picture) the contrast is much less pronounced in real light conditions. So the accessories don't stand out as much as they seem to be in the picture. Pictures of instruments never really convey what they look like when you see them for real. The lighting conditions always seems change the color of the varnish, and in this case, the color of the accessories.

-Tom.

I agree that sometime, someone else work (Classic or modern) is inspiring and leads you to try new things or pay attention to something you where not really looking at. That happened to me not that long ago too and motivated me to make this instrument. I am honored if this violin give you this kind of feelings and wish it translates into something that you like and enjoy making. For the compactness, maybe this is also because this is a "small violin" somehow. Its body length is 341mm and rib height between 28 and 29mm. Its not big. By the way here is a new picture, and I posted more in my gallery.

Andrea_Amati_c1566_copy.jpg

(Photo by Jean Fitzgerald)

-Tom

Wow! Nice work. I love the balance between clean and rich.

Here is a new work on my bench (althought it is not correlated to violins, this is also made of val di fiemme spruce and will add maple rings on the inside). This is a 14"x5 snare drum, still in white:

IMG_6233.jpg

Wow, very cool FrancescoM, The drums are my first love. I actually played the drums in the sixth grade, in a "band" (of dreaming sixth graders) "The Serigos Serpents".

I was the only one in my class that could play "Wipe Out" - and so, I got the (mostly imaginary) job.

This is beautiful, is that a straight butt joint I can see there? Is that what is used?

That's a nice looking instrument and I like it except... somehow it looks strange to have such bright new looking fittings on an antique looking instrument. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing dark ebony.

Many of the original "earlys" have been re-Baroqued, and so have this same look.

Not sure if earlys and re-Baroqued are real words though. laugh.gif

Almost a Jekyll and Hyde difference, seeing from those two angles.

Are violins with statuary heads just considered an oddity, or are they sought after, or avoided...or is it strictly a personal taste matter?

That one seems particularly unattractive, to me.

did you spread some glue in order to strengthen the spruce before cutting the purfling channel?

number 6 top plate purfling. Almost finished the arching.

I put on couple of coats of shellac prior to marking and cutting the channel. I also painted the inner corners of the points with thin Titebond. So long as you don't go too far in, it all gets cut and scraped away with the final sinking - so does not affect any gound treatment, colour wise. I still managed to break off an inner corner. Just get it glued back in straight away - and don't breath while your doing it !

Geoff

Hi all;

At 33 pages and spanning 4 months, this is obviously a popular thread! In order to keep things on the manageable side however.... I think it may be wise to fade this one out, and if interest is still there, start another that is more current. I'll leave this going for a couple days before locking it in case anyone wishes to respond to previous postings.

Cheers!