Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench?

Craig Tucker

I am graduating a back and working on a scroll for the next violin. The top and garland are done.

In my light box I am finishing up one of the violins I started varnishing at Robson's Varnish Workshop. Two others are waiting their turn. Maybe I should make more light boxes.

As you can imagine, I like multitasking. I get bored easily. <_<

Stay Tuned.

Mike

the workshop Can can.....

post-6284-0-15122500-1303432323_thumb.jpg

Yep, the darker violin is the "garbage can" violin. I pulled it from my trash and brought it to the Workshop to see how the varnish worked. Well, that violin is not going back into the trash.

Mike

Mike, why was the violin in the trash, I don't think you ever said in the original workshop thread. Just curious...

The "garbage can violin" was an early model sitting in a corner for several years. I felt it was not worth varnishing. I really forget ALL of the issues, but I recall that there were ghastly purfling and corner goofs, and a plate defect from bad gouge work. Thus, I tossed this violin in the garbage can as I was cleaning up my work area. Then, I realized that I could bring it along to the Varnish Workshop for experimenting. So I retrieved the beast from the garbage can and brought it to Robson's Workshop. Well, varnish can't make a silk purse out of a hog's ear :P , but the Greek Pitch varnish surely put some beautiful lipstick on this pig. : :lol: (Wow - I sure can slay metaphors.) :D

Nowadays, I throw out rejected parts (plates, scrolls, etc.) before assembling a complete violin.

Stay Tuned.

Mike

Getting started on the neck for the quilt maple violin, way back in post #1.

Bigleaf.

Following up from post #168. My quilted maple violin is almost complete... Just working on the final setup doing pegs, bridge, soundpost etc... Here are some pictures. The fingerboard and fittings are rosewood.

post-24376-0-72319700-1303949176_thumb.jpg

post-24376-0-03604200-1303949198_thumb.jpg

post-24376-0-39037800-1303949403_thumb.jpg

This is a violin that I have been literally working on for years. I started it when I still lived in Texas, carved the top and back when I lived in Boulder. I've completed several instruments while this one has sat around the house waiting for attention. I've posted a few pictures of it a while ago but I wasn't happy with the varnish. Now I've taken some abrasives to it the lighten the edges a bit and smooth out the varnish. Looks much better now. Under indoor lighting the color matches the color on the messiah poster very closely. Not claiming anything based on that though, it is a very modern style varnish with modern dyes and pigments.

I hope to get a fingerboard on it this weekend before I can get distracted by other projects.

post-24240-0-58831500-1303951907_thumb.jpg

post-24240-0-36811300-1303951924_thumb.jpg

Sawing ribs for a cello - should have done it in winter... :huh:

Unfortunatly the wood had too much twist for doing it on the bandsaw. :angry:

Yes, very nice hand-sawing there.

Also, that looks like a beauty of a saw.

I've been using the same dodzuki saw for roughing out the scroll now, for close to twenty years - a saw like the one you show here, could definately spoil someone.

Here is the first of the 3 I am finishing up. More antiqued than normal for me...fun!

Eventually there will be detailed pictures on the Workshop pages, but for now I am polishing the other 2.

on we go,

Joe

hey Joe, which one of your varnishes is that ?