Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench?

Craig Tucker

It´s not very "Milanese" but thanks!

Hi Christian, first of all congrats on your work! No words to express the beauty and perfection of your work, the varnish, the coloration, the chatoyancy...

if I'm not asking you much, could you tell us more about the corduroy effect you worked on that, how do you achieve that kind of grain effect with the winter grain so evident?

Any advice will be precious thank you! :)

Hi Christian, first of all congrats on your work! No words to express the beauty and perfection of your work, the varnish, the coloration, the chatoyancy...

if I'm not asking you much, could you tell us more about the corduroy effect you worked on that, how do you achieve that kind of grain effect with the winter grain so evident?

Any advice will be precious thank you! :)

Thanks, first of all it depend of witch school you want to copy , in Crémona for example, Strad and Del Gésu don´t have the grain so pronounced than Milanese school or Andréa Guarneri. The problem is never technical, I finish like many of my colleague with scrapper, the difficulty is to know exactly what do you want at the end. For that you need to train more your eyes than your hand. Thanks to Bruce for the wonderful photos he post on MN, this help a lot who don´t have daily access to hight level instruments!

Thank you christian for your quick reply!! I really would like to achieve your same result as for the grain (I'm talking about your Testore viola, milanese school)...I finish with the scraper too, but the winter grain does not evidence like your one.

I do "bagnatura" made with water, then let the wood dry and then followed by scaper..I did this passage 3 or 4 times or more if I need to highlight the grain, but the appareance of the winter grain is still very different from yours.

Even after the varnishing process (I'm using a varnish made of 1 part greek pitch,1 part mastic and 2 parts linseed oil, marciana varnish), it is still very different.

I am afraid I can't offer you any advice and others with more experience will. But what I can say is that last year when I finished my second violin I did the final scraping on the top without watering it (only because I didn't know you have to... :) )

Then I went on with staining the violin with some tea (wtaer based), then sealing it with gelatin (water based again). At no point did I rescraped the wood (I was worried I would waste everything...). Then when I varnished it I realised that there was a very pronounced corduroy effect (a little bit too much maybe).

Now what I can add is this: I did varnish the first 3 violins with a brush and oil varnish. Then for number 4 I thought I would use the glazing effect just for a try. And when I did it on the top (which had been scraped-watered-scraped again) I realised that I had achieved what I saw in some violins but couldn't understand what it was. The dark lines of the grains were darker, like they were bleeding, while the light parts of the wood stayed light because after wiping some of the glaze some pigments were trapped in the dark lines while they were wiped out on the light parts. I know I am not being very clear, but if you have some spruce scraps try just to rub some madder lake with some oil on them. Then wipe thee excess and you will see what I am trying to explain. And this can give an "effect" of corduroy even if it's not really.

I am graduating a back and working on a scroll for the next violin. The top and garland are done.

In my light box I am finishing up one of the violins I started varnishing at Robson's Varnish Workshop. Two others are waiting their turn. Maybe I should make more light boxes.

As you can imagine, I like multitasking. I get bored easily. <_<

Stay Tuned.

Mike

New one, the violin I´ll bring to Prague for the EILA convention:

006jfd.jpg

Are the fingernail looking marks from spool clamps? I assume the are intentional. For what its worth...I love the work.Nicely old and vintadge looking.. without being decrepid. I also like the clarity and texture of the varnish. good luck at the show.

Looking for suggestions...

I am near the end of the varnishing on 3 violins. I would like to take some pictures that actually LOOK LIKE the instruments. I have a digital camera with a tripod. Any suggestions for taking some [low-tech] shots of these?

Thanks in advance.

on we go,

Joe

Use natural light!