Maestronet Forums

What's on your bench?

Craig Tucker

Are those nano oxide pigments getting more widely available?

Where are makers sourcing them these days, don't remember seeing them in the Kremer Catalague?

Good looking instrument!!!!!

the one I used come from John Schmidt (violin88). I seem to remember several members of the board grouped to place a bulk order of the nano iron, but I don't know what happened next. I did check on internet and these nano oxides are still not easily available I'm afraid.

thanks for the compliment.

Hi All,

Bill Sloan, already known to many of you in the States, came by the shop the yesterday on a visit and about the same time Uto Ughi showed up with the "Rose" 'del Gesù' of 1744. Couldn't pass up a quick photograph.

Bruce

post-29446-0-90500400-1302292253_thumb.jpg post-29446-0-86608100-1302291698_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce

Do you usually play all these famous instruments that pass through your hands?

Hi All,

Bill Sloan, already known to many of you in the States, came by the shop the yesterday on a visit and about the same time Uto Ughi showed up with the "Rose" 'del Gesù' of 1744. Couldn't pass up a quick photograph.

Bruce

post-29446-0-90500400-1302292253_thumb.jpg post-29446-0-86608100-1302291698_thumb.jpg

Doc looks like a happy boy! Did he have the twins with him?

Did he get a chance to play the "Rose"?

on we go,

Joe

I've been away and I missed my bench.

I just got back from two weeks up in the Farmington area of New Mexico, about seven or eight hours North of home (Roswell), up by Chaco Canyon and the Bisti Badlands, where I have spent a good bit of time hiking in the area, and around the massive ruins (twenty years ago) when I was younger and healthier - New Mexico really is the Land of Enchantment.

Fun, but exhausting.

This trip was business.

So, here's a quickie meatball bow repair I just started - it has an old (very dirty) crack that doesn't really want to glue shut (he tried already), and is in desperate need of a re-camber, a new grip, and some minor ivory work on the tip and finally a rehair. The frog is one of the better ones from my junk box.

It's a generic factory German bow from the mid to late 1900's.

It's for a friend who (like me) would rather see it back in action, than toss it. It's really not worth anything in the current condition, and definately not worth a professional repair.

I already removed about fifty pounds of gummed on rosin from it, which gives me great hope that this bow winds up being a decent playing bow.

We discussed the various options and prices - and agreed on this approach.

This is yesterday/todays work.

I messed up with the break in the replacement piece on top - and just went ahead with the repair anyway, rather than take the first short piece out after it was solidly glued in. (idiot!)

I won't attempt to color match the repairs - I'll just French polish the new wood/ this end of the stick, when it's hot out tomorrow.

And, tomorrow, when it's dry, I'll put the camber back into the stick, and hopefully I'll get a new silver/leather grip on before the weekend is over.

These bows may technically be "junk", but I love the way many of them play after some TLC.

post-3950-0-52067900-1302833240_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-49123400-1302833251_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-99320200-1302833275_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-31973200-1302833286_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-16449300-1302833300_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-58970200-1302833686_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-99342500-1302833699_thumb.jpg

post-3950-0-99785000-1302833710_thumb.jpg

Hi all;

Baking in the North Carolina sun.

Dan

Hope you brought it in yesterday. We had tornadoes a couple of miles to the north and south of us - I didn't realise quite so close until the News.

A couple of points:

- make sure there is no varnish bridge between the wings of the F holes and the main plate.

- Suggest move the end of beesting in from edge of the corner.

- Smaller holes for the strings will lead to less slipping with the first turn - I don't like leaving long dangling ends in the pegbox.

It's optimistic to think I might get these all done in one batch (well, except for the extra back plate), but it doesn't hurt to have 'em ready.

Got any finished necks you don't like Don... :D