Maestronet Forums

Just bought a John Juzek

josefmills

Hello,

I'm new to these forums, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone can give me some feedback.

I recently purchased a John Juzek violin.

The label reads:

John Juzek

Violinmaker in Prague

at the bottom in much smaller font it says "made in Czechoslovakia"

The luthier I bought it from said it was a first generation Juzek. I did a bit of research and came up with information that indicated that the instruments with labels that said "violinmaker in prague" were Juzek instruments from before he died, but also that the ones that said "made in czechoslovakia" were after his death (and the sell of his workshop from what I understand). I'm a bit mixed on which way to side with the label on this one though.

I want/need to get it appraised for insurance reasons; but wanted to see if anyone here might be able to give me a general range of what these instruments typically go for. I understand you can't really give a precise guess without seeing the instrument in person, so I'm not really even hoping for anything other than "within a few thousand of X". If anyone thinks they might be able/willing to take a guess, I would be happy to put together some pictures of it.

Any help is appreciated!

Joe

a few hundred to a few thousand, without pictures this is not much info, juzeks are all over the place and the really cheap ones far outnumber the real ones so i hope you can trust the person you bought it from, why cant he do the insurance estimate for you? :)

To elaborate, Juzek sold a lot of different models, from school instruments to Master Art. The best are pretty good, and bring a few thousand. The school instruments and other grades are much more common and have to be identified and evaluated individually.

Metropolitan Music has always been the only importer of Juzek violins. Robert Juzek is identified as the owner, so it's still in the Juzek family.

Hello,

I'm new to these forums, but figured I'd check here to see if anyone can give me some feedback.

I recently purchased a John Juzek violin.

The label reads:

John Juzek

Violinmaker in Prague

at the bottom in much smaller font it says "made in Czechoslovakia"

The luthier I bought it from said it was a first generation Juzek. I did a bit of research and came up with information that indicated that the instruments with labels that said "violinmaker in prague" were Juzek instruments from before he died, but also that the ones that said "made in czechoslovakia" were after his death (and the sell of his workshop from what I understand). I'm a bit mixed on which way to side with the label on this one though.

I want/need to get it appraised for insurance reasons; but wanted to see if anyone here might be able to give me a general range of what these instruments typically go for. I understand you can't really give a precise guess without seeing the instrument in person, so I'm not really even hoping for anything other than "within a few thousand of X". If anyone thinks they might be able/willing to take a guess, I would be happy to put together some pictures of it.

Any help is appreciated!

Joe

Hi,

You say the label states "made in Czechoslovakia". I understand that Czechoslovakia was not formed until 1918 and was known as the Czecho-Slovakia state until 1920. Therefore the violin was most probably made after 1920. What years was John Juzek alive?

T

Wow I wasn't expecting so many responses.

I was mostly just looking to get some educated guesses at the rough value of my instrument. Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't feel comfortable taking an appraisal from one person and calling it golden. I'd just feel more comfortable getting a couple of appraisals, and having a plethora of guesses that I could read from.

The luthier I purchased the instrument from gave me a guess of it's value, not an official appraisal; but he was also trying to sell the instrument. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy and I trust him well enough, but there were some caution flags with his sell of it.

I'll try to get in contact with Mr Juzek at Metropolitan Music.

As per John Juzeks years of life, I'm not really sure. From what I've heard, I'd guess something like ~1890-1950, give or take 10-15 on either end and in either direction. It sounds as if the height of his professional life was about 1920-1940.

Here's a link to some pictures I took of the instrument just now. It looks a little harshly yellow in this light, and the pictures are of fairly low quality, but I guess it serves it's purpose. http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee423/jmills3939/

I'm not sure it that link will work, so I'm sorry if it's a no-go.

Thanks again for everyone's help! It is greatly appreciated.

Joe

I'd insure it for whatever you paid.

Looks very similar to ours (dated 1933). I sent PM w/link to photos too. You'll have to compare the labels as your photo didn't show the whole thing, but believe mine does. As I said, we have ours listed for $850.

I believe these are workshop models and the "Master Art" series had a different set of labels.

Then label in mine is exactly the same minus the year and signature. I've heard that at some point in Mr Juzeks life, he stopped making violins, and started finding and affixing his label on them. I guess maybe that's why I have.

I didn't figure it was a rare gem of an instrument, I just really enjoy how it plays so easily, and how well it speaks in higher positions.

Thank you again to everyone for the help, it is very appreciated.

Joe

Metropolitan has a brief bio and history of the company on the web site. They started operations in the US s Czechoslovak Music Company in 1920. I've seen instruments with earlier dates, but belied by the word Czechoslovakia on the label. As pointed out above the country was established in 1918 with the breakup of Austria-Hungary, and the country name was hyphenated for the first few years as well.

Many of their instruments were made in Schoenbach (now Luby) in Bohemia just a few miles from Markneukirchen.

John Juzek seems to be a very elusive guy. Cant find much on him, other than what has alraedy been posted.

Here are some websites that will give a bit more background. Some good pics of labels.

http://www.selectviolins.com/e10/johnjuzek.html

http://www.stringnet.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=Juzek12Vln

http://fendersixstring.blogspot.com/2008/01/vintage-john-juzek-violin.html

"I am interested in buying a John Juzek violin made in Prague. It is about 160 years old. (no date inside, but has the same label."

Good illustration of how much misinformation there is on the internet . I think I'd rather rely on the information published by the Juzek family itself on Metropolitan Music's web site. The fact that they don't say a lot about John Juzek himself speaks volumes to me.

....The fact that they don't say a lot about John Juzek himself speaks volumes to me.

For example, they don't say when or where he was born; when, where or under whom he was trained as a violin maker; when or where he died; etc. These are all basic data that are normally included in any violin maker's biography, and if anyone had access to them it would be his family. Their absence leads me to believe that John Juzek is a trade name, not the name of a real violin maker.

For example, they don't say when or where he was born; when, where or under whom he was trained as a violin maker; when or where he died; etc. These are all basic data that are normally included in any violin maker's biography, and if anyone had access to them it would be his family. Their absence leads me to believe that John Juzek is a trade name, not the name of a real violin maker.

On the Metropolitan website http://www.metmusic.com/History.aspx that Nonado mentioned above, there is a picture of John Juzek taken in his work shop circa 1935 so I suppose he did exist. However, Brad, as you said it seems impossible to find any real data on the fellow.