Maestronet Forums

Forum etiquette

Mat Roop

I order to reach a wider audience ia a search of advice, I have posted essentially the same post in two different violin forum sites... Is that considered OK & appropriate? ... or do people get excited about reading the same thing in two different places?

Thanks... Mat

I don't think there's a violation of etiquette one way or the other.

But there might be an issue of inefficiency. When the same topic is posted in two different Mestronet forums, some people who post responses in one thread may not see the responses posted in the other thread, and you may not have one, unified discussion, with all ideas easily accessible and referable in one thread.

Hold on. I think I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about starting the same thread in two different Maestronet forums, like in both the Pegbox and the Fingerboard. But you might be talking about forums at two different web sites. If you are, there can't be any harm in that. That's my opinion as a Maestronet user. Maybe the administrators have a different point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm the oddball, but I find it a little annoying to answer a question on one forum, then find the exact same question posted on another. It FEELS as if the answer I gave was of no importance and that the questioner is just fishing for the choicest answer. I think the person should first try to decide which forum is most appropriate. Then if no useful answers appear, take the show on the road.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm the oddball, but I find it a little annoying to answer a question on one forum, then find the exact same question posted on another. It FEELS as if the answer I gave was of no importance and that the questioner is just fishing for the choicest answer. I think the person should first try to decide which forum is most appropriate. Then if no useful answers appear, take the show on the road.

I would like to second the motion. One should put the question on one forum, and wait. If you do not get an answer soon enough, only then should it be placed before a second forum. The only exception, would appear to me, is if you felt an answer was urgently needed.

Ben

I would like to second the motion. One should put the question on one forum, and wait. If you do not get an answer soon enough, only then should it be placed before a second forum. The only exception, would appear to me, is if you felt an answer was urgently needed.

Ben

I agree completely. As a player/enthusiast, if I take the time to give a thoughtful answer to a question from an amateur that I feel qualified to answer, then I expect my time/attention to at least be given consideration. You don't have to take my advice, but if it's something specifically in my field, you'd most likely profit if you do. When one asks a question of the "what strings do you think..." nature, I always get the feeling someone is just seeking the advice of the majority, regardless of my contribution, and I'm not inclined to spend my time/energy that way.

N.B. I know next to nothing about making 'em; playing 'em is what I'm paid to do. I'm mostly on this forum to learn, and possibly contribute something from my experience that I feel may be germane to the question at hand.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree completely. As a player/enthusiast, if I take the time to give a thoughtful answer.

I almost never go to the finger board and have to think it a fairly common approch to a forum like MN so by posting something like what are your favorite strings? or what about using a short stop for a DGU model I could approch two very different audiences.... And If I know your name is lets say yo-yo-ma I will take your advice much more seriously than I ever would from someone like stilldoinit.... no mater who you are, how good you write, or whatever group you play for, this is a public forum and talking with the ma(or Woman) behind the mask will always mean less to me than a person I can google or web search....like what are you hidding? If your name is realy famous and you don't want extra publicity ...suck it up take the lumps and enjoy the life you have.

I almost never go to the finger board and have to think it a fairly common approch to a forum like MN so by posting something like what are your favorite strings? or what about using a short stop for a DGU model I could approch two very different audiences.... And If I know your name is lets say yo-yo-ma I will take your advice much more seriously than I ever would from someone like stilldoinit.... no mater who you are, how good you write, or whatever group you play for, this is a public forum and talking with the ma(or Woman) behind the mask will always mean less to me than a person I can google or web search....like what are you hidding? If your name is realy famous and you don't want extra publicity ...suck it up take the lumps and enjoy the life you have.

Lynn Harrell and Yo-yo Ma have other fish to fry rather than spending their time on public message boards. You're welcome to take my advice or leave it. Similarly, I reserve the freedom to offer my advice or ignore the question.

The gentleman asked a question, I gave my opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Good day.

Lynn Harrell and Yo-yo Ma have other fish to fry rather than spending their time on public message boards. You're welcome to take my advice or leave it. Similarly, I reserve the freedom to offer my advice or ignore the question.

The gentleman asked a question, I gave my opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Good day.

Well I can't exactly "Not read it" I have to in order to form an opinion. Mat did ask a question ...but not to you specificly... this is an open forum ...And I for one see no problem with seeking as much input from as many places as possible. Ceartianly when it comes to two separate fields, like playing and building,that merge somewhere "out there" it seems to me that at times this would be the only responsible path to obtaining good information..... And.... How do you know that Mr.Ma is not on this forum reading right now? If Social and Finantial good fortune, In any way translate to leasure time, then I am sure He could, and It might even intrest him ... why not? I would certianly use a sudonyme if I were him though.....Facts and opinions

Wait a sec...you waited from May 4 to May 24 to opine on this thread?

Man, you must've had time to really build up a head of steam! :)

No I was bored and got out of the pegbox for a little look see...I posted about 30 second after reading All the posts in the thread..... Don' forget that we are creating a semi permant record here that anyone may look at, at any time ....I at least try to watch what I say, and how I say It to represent the best I can, I'd hate to have someting come back ten yrs later to bite me in the ass....