Maestronet Forums

Ernst Kreusler violins

polkat

I've seen a number of violins labled Ernst Kreusler, made in the 1910's-20's. I haven't heard much about this name as a luthier. Was he an actual maker, or are these (as I suspect) German factory violins with that name on the label? And what does one look for to verify authenticity?

Ernst Kreusler is definitely a trade name, not a real maker. But I've never before heard that this was one of the Roth shop names, so I have doubts about that. My notes, based on a small sample, suggest that the best ones might be labeled as made in Dresden, dated “Anno 19XX” and state “handmade reproduction of ………” on the label; and the lesser ones might be labeled "Ernst Kreusler, Sachsen, Copy of Stradivarius."

The name is also seen on bows of various qualities, some of them reasonably good and silver-mounted.

You're right, Brad, I was thinking of Oskar Hermann Seidel. At one point I had a list of all the different names that EH Roth used (including Enrico Robello and Jacobus Hornsteiner), but now I can't find it. My understanding was that the fictitious naming was a trick employed by Roth to get around the limitations of the exclusive marketing arrangements they had negotiated for the EH Roth-labeled instruments.