Maestronet Forums

The Violin Case - History Of

iburkard

I was watching the movie "The Steamroller and the Violin" (1961) and saw this image, a child with his violin in what appears to be a bag specifically made for the instrument?

I have a copy of "The Art & History of Violin Cases", but there is not much information on bag-type cases... just curious if anyone has images (photos/paintings) of violins in bag-type cases.

violinBag.jpg

I was watching the movie "The Steamroller and the Violin" (1961) and saw this image, a child with his violin in what appears to be a bag specifically made for the instrument?

I have a copy of "The Art & History of Violin Cases", but there is not much information on bag-type cases... just curious if anyone has images (photos/paintings) of violins in bag-type cases.

violinBag.jpg

Hello iburkard,

I missed this thread because I am in London chasing the Crevelli case by Stradivari but I tend to agree with Bernie - on the basis of the evidence presented, this movie shows little more than a shopping bag. If it really is a bag intended for a violin, I need to know about it for inclusion in the second edition but the closest I have come to this are some very cheap cases made from canvas in the early part of the 20thC. They are enclosed, have a handle and are clearly intended for a musical instrument. This bag is not so convincing.

Glenn

www.violincasecollecting.com

I blew the picture up a bit and sharpened it, and noticed that the violin is sitting just slightly sideways in it, and that the bag is considerably wider then a violin body. Further, the neck sits halfway out of the top of the bag. Also, the bag grips are level with the pegbox, suggesting possible damage if roughly handled. I'm certain this is a shopping bag, or a sachel of some type. If it was a 'violin bag', it offers little or no protection for the instrument.

I blew the picture up a bit and sharpened it, and noticed that the violin is sitting very slightly sideways in it, and that the bag is a bit wider then a violin body. Further, the neck sits halfway out of the top of the bag, with the pegbox level with the bag's grips, possibly causing damage if handled roughly. I'm certain this is a shopping bag, or a schacle of some type. If it was a 'violin bag', it offers little or no protection for the instrument.