Maestronet Forums

Bow Modifications?

polkat

On bowmaker Andreas Grütter's website it is suggested that, depending on bow weight, balance, and a number of other factors, removing the silver winding can improve the bow's response. The 'science' behind this can be read on the site, but, has anyone here tried this and what were the results?

You can swap out the silver winding, which could theoretically dampen the vibrations running through the stick when played. Silk is really the only alternative that I know of with which you will actually notice a difference in the playability of the bow. You should be able to feel the stick vibrating through the stick, which can enhance your playing because of the added response. However, silk is very lightweight and weight would need to be added beneath the thumb leather in order for the stick to be properly balanced. This can be done with golfer's tape and is not structural invasive. The overall weight of the bow is not as much of an issue as balance. If the proper balance is not maintained, the bow will be very difficult to play.

You can swap out the silver winding, which could theoretically dampen the vibrations running through the stick when played.

I found it very difficult to take Mr Grütter seriously. The player has his fingers wrapped round the bow, surely the dampening from that would completely outweigh any tiny effect from the presence or absence of the silver winding?

You should be able to feel the stick vibrating through the stick, which can enhance your playing because of the added response.

Can you explain how that would work?

If the proper balance is not maintained, the bow will be very difficult to play.

I'd like a bit more detail about this too.

I found it very difficult to take Mr Grütter seriously. The player has his fingers wrapped round the bow, surely the dampening from that would completely outweigh any tiny effect from the presence or absence of the silver winding?

I can feel big differences in the vibrations transmitted by different bows to my right hand. The amount of these vibrations is not unique to a bow, but appears to vary with different bow-violin combinations (same bow grip for all the testings). However, the relative ranking of vibrations across bows is maintained, even though the amount may vary when playing different violins.

Perhaps this illustrates that variations in the 'damping' are possible.

Quote: "If the proper balance is not maintained, the bow will be very difficult to play."

Well, I know from experience that some players (myself included-I play jazz and am usually closer to the tip) like the balance a bit closer to the tip, while others prefer it a bit closer to the frog. So what exactly is 'the proper balance'? Since these variable choices exist, a difficult bow to play must be very unbalanced! No?