Maestronet Forums

In Search of the Messiah

Michael K.

Michael, Great films. Thanks.

The series is definitely a justified glorification of the best of the classic Italian violins.

But one has to remember that just because the very best of the classic Italians are some of the best of all violins doesn't mean that all classic Italians rank among the best fiddles. When Joshua Bell says that the best of contemporary violins can only achieve 90% of what his Gibson can, that's a pretty good endorsement of the best of contemporary violins. How many classic Italian violins can achieve for him what his Gibson can?

In the never ending dispute about the value of contemporary instruments relative to the classic Italians, there's only one indisputable truth: Some classic Italians are better than some contemporary instruments, and some contemporary instruments are better than some classic Italians.

Caveat: Trying to define "better" in some kind of object sense is probably hopeless. "Violin A is better than violin B" is meaningful only in the context of a specific player.

i invite any maker on maestronet to post a you tube link of their violin that sounds as good as the baron knoop del gesu in this video, my georg gemunder has certain notes that sound good like that but on the del gesu its every note that sounds good, 10%, try 50% better..... :rolleyes: also i think you misunderstand joshua, i think hes saying historical instruments in general have a 10% that the modern instruments never have.

Michael, Great films. Thanks

Caveat: Trying to define "better" in some kind of object sense is probably hopeless. "Violin A is better than violin B" is meaningful only in the context of a specific player.

There is a possible analogy with this show using two top notch drivers and various sports cars.

Battle of the SuperCars

I've had a chance to drive lots of different cars, and they all seem pretty much the same to me, but I am sure that to a top driver they are all very unique.

'The better the tool the better the job' applies to both of us, it's just that the top driver is going to be able to get the most out of that 'tool'.

As to marrying that tool, well that's for another show! :blink: :blink: :blink:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just saw this by accident on TV now:

Some great and candid moments for those who only see the names of so many of these collectors and dealers:

The Hills, Robert Bein, Peter Biddulph, David Fulton, Dietmar Machold, Herbert Alexrod, Gerald Segelmann, etc.

and for me the most intriguing the founder of the Chi Mei Foundation: Hsu Wen-Lung

Poignant too in the light of the recent auction of the Lady Blunt and the ongoing Machold saga.