Sign in to follow this  
downhere

Soundpost adjusting and fitting.

Here's my post setter for narrow f-holes and undersize instruments. Long live coat hangers!!! (of course, it's not just ANY old coathanger.....

Bruce

Is it a gen-wine Cremonese coat hanger, or just an Italian one? ;)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Finally got mine set up, 3mm behind the bridge foot, 2mm within the outer edge of the foot. Post fits flush with the top,but the bottom is slightly rounded from setting up the post. Post is vertical. I found this post much easier to adjust than the old post, as this is made of softer spruce than the old one. The old one also looks really dark, really dense, higher ring when tapped, and holds the sharpness of the cut edges much better than my new post.

The volume of the violin seems the same, more complex sounding. I wonder if the old post is of better soundpost material than the new one. After all, I bought sound post material from my violin shop for 6 dollars, but I paid 120 dollars to have the old post fitted. Don't notice a difference yet, but would be interesting to hear if there is a difference.

The new soft post is easier to wedge tho.. the old one was so hard when you wedge it it tends to skip instead of compress.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

downhere:

I have noticed a lot of old posts in violins I have acquired are hard wood. Maybe put in to counteract some tone issue or the previous owner just used dowel material that is not soundpost material. If your new post sounds more complex, then store the old one away - - for a long time.

-dogma