Maestronet Forums

One more plea for help with violin identification

Fotios

Please help me once more with identification of other my violin - any help would be greatly appreciated. It is interesting instrument from my opinion. The violin get over long life but it still illustrate good workmanship its maker. Inner work is nice. Interesting shape of f-holes. I don't have any idea about origin. Can somebody help? Thanks in advance!

Happy Christmas to all!

Petr

P.S. Neck with scroll are certainly much latter than rest of instrument.

post-23680-0-08997400-1293273955_thumb.jpg

post-23680-0-56385500-1293273970_thumb.jpg

post-23680-0-61474700-1293273983_thumb.jpg

post-23680-0-51226100-1293274000_thumb.jpg

post-23680-0-42636000-1293274041_thumb.jpg

post-23680-0-47361700-1293274054_thumb.jpg

post-23680-0-24127400-1293274071_thumb.jpg

The missing purfling on the top and varnish spilling into the void inidcate that this instrument was either stripped and refinished, or refinished/overcoated rather recently with shellac that was improperly cut. There is a lot of buildup on the wings. The corners are overly round, as if sanded rather than naturally worn.

The profile shot of the body seems to show that the fs were recently re-cut -- the wood in the upper f is so clean and bright it's bare, while the rest of the f exhibits lots of varnish.

Your pictures are far too large, which explains the lack of responses.

Also, a note to MN. I hate the new flash interface for viewing photos.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :lol:

Thank you, messieurs, for your opinions. Yes, the instrument was recently not very good refinished. In point of f-holes I think that certainly have not been re-cut. Nonado is right - bright wood on profile shot is bass bar. I am enclosing one more profile shot from other side - there is better sight.

Please excuse me too large photos - new system for viewing photos really is not very good. I am changed photos yet. I hope that now photos are better arranged.

I was thinking too that the violin could be Austrian - maybe Tyrolean, maybe Viennese, but I don't have sufficiency of experience and therefore I don't have sureness.

Yes, violin have all four corner blocks - very nice gentle shape (like Italian).

Thank you, messieurs, for your opinions. Yes, the instrument was recently not very good refinished. In point of f-holes I think that certainly have not been re-cut. Nonado is right - bright wood on profile shot is bass bar. I am enclosing one more profile shot from other side - there is better sight.

Please excuse me too large photos - new system for viewing photos really is not very good. I am changed photos yet. I hope that now photos are better arranged.

I was thinking too that the violin could be Austrian - maybe Tyrolean, maybe Viennese, but I don't have sufficiency of experience and therefore I don't have sureness.

Yes, violin have all four corner blocks - very nice gentle shape (like Italian).

Nonado's guess might be quite close.

I also think it could be from the Leidolff shop (Joh. Christoph) although not by the master himself. It has a Viennese look to it and has been worked hard over the years judging from all the restoration. I would think it plays nicely when correctly set up.

What is the back length?

Glenn

Please help me once more with identification of other my violin - any help would be greatly appreciated. It is interesting instrument from my opinion. The violin get over long life but it still illustrate good workmanship its maker. Inner work is nice. Interesting shape of f-holes. I don't have any idea about origin. Can somebody help? Thanks in advance!

Happy Christmas to all!

Petr

P.S. Neck with scroll are certainly much latter than rest of instrument.

+++++++++++++++++

I would not say that your violin catchs my eyes. It seems to me that it is just an ordinary old violin.

Don't expect the f-holes are perfectly symmetric. The top could be distorted because of age and use.

Normal wear and tears is a good sign of a normal violin. If a 150 years old violin is in mint conition, then I would wonder why it has

not been played heavily for such a long time. Luckily it is not the case. Have a good luthier check out the repairs, when done, it could serve

you another hundred years.

To GlennYorkPA:

Some time ago I have had one violin by Joh. Christoph Leidolff too (verified original), but if I remember good, his f-holes have different shape - more like a Stainer's. However I am not expert of course and I am probably mistaken. Length of back is ca 35,5 cm.

To Fellow:

Thank you for your view. I like old things and twice as many old violin because it inspire my imagination. Yes, this violin is very worn - any care-taked Stradivari. But I'm not any Menuhin :) ...

iburkard, I think that's the bass bar you're seeing, not the edge of the f-hole.

I think you're right about that -- the flash shot from the trebel side also shows 'white' rib wood, which also looks like a fresh cut, but is not. Check out how thick that post is... and the peg holes are dangerously close to the edge of the box... so many issues. This one is an expensive fix.