Imbuia 5 string

I know most of you are not really interested in 5 string violins but it's what I do...

Well done! I like the varnish. I noticed that you used a half-saddle that sits in a mortise on the top rather than the traditional full saddle that sits on the end block. Is there a reason for this? Just curious.

I am interested in making a 5 string violin for my self in the coming new year but I am not sure what the approximate dimensions should be. Intuitively I am sure that it will be a cross between a violin and viola, in that the ribs will have to be a bit higher, the neck a bit wider, the pegbox a bit longer, the arching a bit higher, the body a bit longer and maybe a viola bridge. I assume that the stop length should be the same as a violin (~195 mm. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ibunkard, fortunately I have been pretty busy in the shop. This has been a good year but can't help but worry about next year????

Catnip, I like the half saddle because I feel the saddle is more stable. I make 2 sizes of 5 string violins and both are popular. The larger size is more popular though.

Shoot me an email and I will help you anyway I can.

I haven't posted here in awhile and thought I would show my latest Imbuia 5 string.

This wood has become very difficult to find.

I know most of you are not really interested in 5 string violins but it's what I do...

Absoulutely beautiful, but as pretty as the Imbuia is, I'm a detail guy and I love the way the splined neck and the detail in the button area just set everything off. Kudos, again -- absoulutely beautiful.

-----Barry

Of course I make maple violins! But 90% of my orders are some other tone wood. Imbuia is not hard. It is wonderful to work with and smells terrific. The wood that is REALLY hard is Bubinga. It makes such great sounding violins but I hate working with it.

I make a 14" 5 string which is pretty much stand size to most violins and then I make a 14.5" 5 string.

Your right the great color of the darker tone woods comes "free". For me getting maple to the right color is always a struggle.

The purfling is actually standard E/M/E is just doesn't show up well in this photo. The laminated neck is another "guitar" idea.

Of course I make maple violins! But 90% of my orders are some other tone wood...

I didn't mean to imply that, I only remembered that you use a lot of exotic tonewood. Growing up in Brazil I only saw Imbuia being used in doors, so, great job putting it to good use!