Maestronet Forums

Anyone hungry? How about a sandwich?

NewNewbie

15,000-pound reward for information leading to its recovery. Ahh not the sandwich, but the ....

Grab a sandwich, lose a $1.9 million Stradivarius

Pics

www.dailymail.co.uk

Let's all hope that things turnout well in the end.....soon.

Very unfortunate and I hope it turns up.

However you could not buy this sort of publicity.

Min-Jin Kym's photo and biog are now featured in hundreds of the world's newspapers.

Reading some of Joe Public's comments, there is a general lack of sympathy and the repeated question of why is somebody carrying around

goods worth over a million pounds in a briefcase with no security guard. If it was a million pounds worth of diamonds or gold

then the terms of insurance would not allow it for obvious reasons of risk.

I wonder that before not too long insurance companies may drastically change their requirements when it comes to valuable musical instruments.

Very unfortunate and I hope it turns up.

However you could not buy this sort of publicity.

Min-Jin Kym's photo and biog are now featured in hundreds of the world's newspapers.

Reading some of Joe Public's comments, there is a general lack of sympathy and the repeated question of why is somebody carrying around

goods worth over a million pounds in a briefcase with no security guard. If it was a million pounds worth of diamonds or gold

then the terms of insurance would not allow it for obvious reasons of risk.

I wonder that before not too long insurance companies may drastically change their requirements when it comes to valuable musical instruments.

I totally agree. I don't buy either this kind of stories. You don't let go a $1.2M item (whatever it is) and especially not a Stradivarius violin that was lent to you, unattended for anything less than life threatening matter (although a sandwich in UK could be a life threatening matter). Well I don't know why but I don't feel any compassion for this girl, even if she can play well.

I have thought the same thing about being careless, , it seems to happen at least once a year or two. I wonder if you have possession of such an instrument and you use it everyday I wonder if you loose the specialness of it over a period of time, (when you are not playing it anyway) It becomes like you wallet or you wedding ring, you kind of loose track of it?

A number of comments indicate that the stolen instruments were on loan by an organization or an individual.

If so, therein lies the problem.

A performer or student player has a more casual attitude toward those instruments than someone who has worked hard and paid cash.

Does anyone here have stories to tell about school instrument damage and their repairs? ...Hmmm??

Valuable violins and bows that were treasured by their owners are being bequeathed to local colleges with the best of intentions but...guess what?

Oh come on now, another theft of another "priceless" Italian fiddle? This is starting to look like clockwork. Maybe it's just a publicity stunt. Think about it - you're a soloist who's not entirely unheard but face it, you're not exactly blazing the headlines either. In order to further your career, you need to get your name out there. What's a good way to do that, to increase your fame?

Why, stage a theft of your violin! And not just any violin, oh no! The media needs to know about your...your Stradivarius! ::cue angelic choir:: Isn't it convenient? To foist another prepackaged and processed sob-story on to the world, just like that? Doesn't seem the least bit unrealistic to me. Why not? Some people have this burning desire to be famous, for any number of reasons.

The publicity part must be working. Try to vist her website. http://www.min-jin.com/ rolleyes.gif

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.min-jin.com Port 80

"...Oh come on now, another theft of another "priceless" Italian fiddle? This is starting to look like clockwork. Maybe it's just a publicity stunt..."

I'm reminded of the line "there are none so naive as the reflexively cynical."

The story as described sounds plausible enough... she got shafted by petty criminals who cruise the public sphere opportunistically grabbing anything they can.

"...Oh come on now, another theft of another "priceless" Italian fiddle? This is starting to look like clockwork. Maybe it's just a publicity stunt..."

I'm reminded of the line "there are none so naive as the reflexively cynical."

The story as described sounds plausible enough... she got shafted by petty criminals who cruise the public sphere opportunistically grabbing anything they can.

Ironic, considering your reflexive cynicism of my...reflexive cynicism. A publicity stunt in this case is plausible, contrary to what I suspect is your sentiment. Is it less likely than theft? Absolutely. But is it any less realistic? Not to any reasonable person.