Sign in to follow this  

Messy Bench Contest

Luis

You have my vote...C'mon Dean let's see whatch you got... :)

OK Ernie I can't turn down your request so ...

This is quite embarrassing but others have shared their mess so I guess I will as well.

I work in all these areas for different steps in violin/viola making but I share these with other jobs.

I left everything as is to remain honest. Unfortunately it shows poor practice (violin sitting and waiting for a disaster) But... in my defense things were moved around quickly for a guest. And these precariously placed objects have already been secured.

Actually, before I start any work everything is cleaned up and reorganized. Since I have changed gears so often it's actually pretty easy to clean up.

As you can likely tell I just finished some bike work, silversmith project, leatherwork, I'm in the middle of a some clock restorations and I have commissions for a knife, a request for a fingerplane and a purfling pick. Oh yes, I'm restoring an old painting of mine that had a failure of the flake white (leaded) and started chipping. This portrait was scraped and is being painted over again. It's in the blocking of base color stage.

My old wood stock is inside the house. The newer stock stays in the garage for a few years.

Clearly I am not in the “plane must be stored on it’s side” camp but some are piled up but the soles are protected…it just looks bad.

Ok, I clean up my shavings. Imagine this mess with the shavings.

Go here if you dare :)

Dean

Nice...and messy! Lots of cool things to look at too.

I really liked Magnus' workspace and that beast of a bending iron.

Ol' Bruce has a pretty good mess going on there.

I bet Ian and others who cleaned up their bench will never find some tools.

:lol:

Haha... Actually every tool that I have does have a "home position." I have several task specific tool boxes. If I went into my shop space right now I could find anything that I put away. Oddly enough, I could also find anything even when the bench was a mess. With a messy bench, finding things become more about memory.

its a 25 lb little giant nice hammer does it run?

The little giant works well. It has a new set of combo dies, good bearings and I made new maple blocks for the clutch. I still forge mostly by hand but this saves time when drawing out the metal. I do need to make a guard for the spring in case it breaks.

The little giant works well. It has a new set of combo dies, good bearings and I made new maple blocks for the clutch. I still forge mostly by hand but this saves time when drawing out the metal. I do need to make a guard for the spring in case it breaks.

a guard is great /short of that/ run a piece of cable or heavy wire through the spring and secure around the arms. I have seen a spring break! also they can slip any of the pins comes loose .don't want to see a hole in your head. I use a 75# air hammer sahinler. great time saver.have fun!

Manfio!

I had heard about building violins "in the air", and thought that it meant to build violins without using a mold.

I now think I may have been wrong all the time..

"Building in the air" is probably what you do, as you have no free place left on your benches!

Ha! The problem is that there is almost no free space on the floor too!!!

The problem is that I have to make more instruments and have no time to clean and organize my shop! Just glued the neck to the soundbox of my newest viola yesterday and have no finished instrument with me so my shop orgazination will have to wait some more time!

So, trip-hammers aside for a moment (I love 'em too)-- Luis, I have lost track-- how many instruments have you made to date? You have been pouring them out so fast I lost count a long time ago.

I bet Ian and others who cleaned up their bench will never find some tools.

:lol:

Having placed very low in this competition, I decided it was time to aim for the bottom of the list, and clean up too:

post-25192-0-37135700-1291082617_thumb.jpg

No problem with finding stuff; everything has a home spot, and I know where it is. Hopefully I put them there.

However, due to the law of conservation of entropy, the rest of the shop (out of the camera field of view) has become messier.

Boy, some of you ARE messy! I am a bit late with my contribution, but it only happened earlier this week. I sold some of my loft insulation (speak unbuilt plastic model aircraft kits) on eBay and I have now the pleasure in packing 70 parcels :(

Mess.jpg

This unfortunately keeps me from working on the fiddle for a while :angry:

Cheers, Peter

Having placed very low in this competition, I decided it was time to aim for the bottom of the list, and clean up too:

post-25192-0-37135700-1291082617_thumb.jpg

No problem with finding stuff; everything has a home spot, and I know where it is. Hopefully I put them there.

However, due to the law of conservation of entropy, the rest of the shop (out of the camera field of view) has become messier.

I like your granite surface plate!

Do you use it for flattening the ribs, as well as flattening waterstones, sharpening plane blades and flattening plane bottoms?

I have one, and I use the Scary Sharp system on it. Really nice.

I see that you have a Carter fence for your bandsaw, and was wondering how you like it, since I was thinking of having Santa drop one off this Christmas, just one problem in that plan and that is the higher likelihood of getting a lump of coal instead. :lol::blink::angry:

As to the cleanest shop, I think I will have to deduct some points for the tangle of power cords in the bottom left of the shot! :lol: