Sign in to follow this  

Messy Bench Contest

Dr Todd....what book is that there? That's the technique of arching that Luthier O'Neille (sp?) uses and now I know where she got it from.

Strobel's Cello Making Step-by-Step. I don't recall him saying who invented the technique though. I didn't physically make the (I think 1/4" recommended) contour guides. I just cut the shapes out in paper and transferred the lines to the top and then free-handed with the safe-t-planer. Then used a block plane to knock off the corners. Probably saved quite a bit of time but the high-frequency vibration left my hands vibrating for what seemed like a day.

My vote is for Luis at this moment. You guys have it hard to beat Manfio.

I will not post ant pictures because I have the bad habit to tidy up every time I finish.

As we discussed some time ago, entropy makes Manfio's shop more messy every time I tidy up. wink.gif So Luis, half or your prize is mine.

I am too ashamed of my mess to show photos of it. It might tie with Dean or Luis, but I will concede to whomever before publicizing it-- I would much rather learn to make it look like Jefferey's shop. My wife has seen that photo, and continually reminds me of it.

post-25192-0-82873200-1290438777_thumb.jpg

This won't win the competition, I know, but I'm just a neophyte at this.

Notice the nearly-empty tool rack, the contents of which are on the bench... and NONE of them (except the red-handled rasp) are needed for the neck shaping that is the current project.

I also have a thick blanket that I spread over all the tools in case I want to work on a fiddle and need someplace to lay it down.

Do we see an external tone adjustment experiment fiddle there?

Do we see an external tone adjustment experiment fiddle there?

Yes, we do. I was just about to post that thread.

I bet it'll be your living room bench that goes first.

Not necessarily...

Where there is a will there is a way, but tidying-up for hols is in the contract.

post-24474-0-15226200-1290465831_thumb.jpg

Well...I must say that I love to see a messy bench because it is often a contrast to a wonderfully perfect instrument that is being produced and furthermore my Grandfather who was primarily an artist but also a luthier had an easel and bench nearly to match Luis.

But these days I tend to keep a more tidy bench than I did in the past. And this is just my personal approach suited to my own flawed mentality/forgetfulness and no criticism of other approaches. I find with a messy bench and floor that I lose things too easily. A lost item could have been put down in creative haste on the bench or could have fallen into the shavings. Normally it is a small indispensable item that took ages to make and refine and a panicked increasingly desperate and bad tempered search would ensue resulting in the incorrect form of mind for lutherie....or it could be an indispensable wood chip. Because of this I like to try to keep the bench and the floor if not the whole workshop tidy and ordered with everything in it's place. My last act of the day now is to tidy and clean and arrange a fresh and ordered scene for when I re enter the workshop at the end of the day before tidying I might write myself some notes to remember if I feel inspired...That's just me..I'm tidier than I used to be. Better folk than me are tidier and untidier

Not necessarily...

I agree. My livingroom drafting table isn't going anywhere! :) It's nice because it's at an angle, so that prevents me from piling up too many big jobs.

Also, it's the one space where my girlfriend and I can both work together (we both work too much). She reads on the sofa while I fiddle.

The best way to find tools on a messy bench... magnet.

I am a changed man (because I should have been doing other things). I timed this, and it took about an hour and 15 including the floor. ;) I really want to throw up some wall storage, but I'll be out of here next year.

right_01.jpg

right_02.jpg

Well, that's a cute little mess you had going there....but feast your eye's on this disaster :lol: welcome to my nightmare. this is evidence of the crime. :lol:

I dunno about that "cleaning the shop thing" its like washing off the genius :lol:

post-24788-0-46866100-1290494350_thumb.jpgpost-24788-0-22509800-1290494365_thumb.jpg

Yes I jumped the gun, I had not seen the freakshow that was Manfios lair. I was going to post a recant, but was feeling too ashamed. I was hoping to toss some dust in the air in the hopes of getting some digital orbs to appear, so as to give the apperance of being haunted, but alas that would be cheating, and well I had just taken the dog for a walk, so I could'nt add that "element" to the mix...

All hail the cheif...Bravo for Manfio...long live the king

Ps Don, that was no chump change mess you had there yourself, pure genius B)