Sign in to follow this  

Messy Bench Contest

That's a mess?!

I have two work areas. One is my mess room, for chopping/ripping/cutting/planing/metal work etc. The other area is my livingroom bench/drafting area for more refined work.

This is my mess room...

notRight.jpg

I was playing silver smith today (thus the metal bits here and there), repairing an antique jewelry box.

I have a feeling that this "mess" room will be going away after I get married.

Oh this is going to be fun...so far I think iburkard's in the lead...but that is one shi_load of wood chips on Dr Todds bench...

I have got a name for it: "Tool creep" Start out with a clean bench, more and more tools appear from nowhere and the bench is cluttered with tools you might use only once!

I have no pictures but, add a broken, yikes, plastic ice maker supply line spraying in about a 120 degree pattern to the mess.

Centered on the work bench with open drawers below. Table saw to the left, dust collector and band saw to the right.

The important wood escaped the water.

That's a mess?!

I have two work areas. One is my mess room, for chopping/ripping/cutting/planing/metal work etc. The other area is my livingroom bench/drafting area for more refined work.

This is my mess room...

notRight.jpg

I was playing silver smith today (thus the metal bits here and there), repairing an antique jewelry box.

I have a feeling that this "mess" room will be going away after I get married.

I bet it'll be your living room bench that goes first.

When it comes to sharp things, I always put them back where they belong.

It would only take me about an hour to put everything back where it belongs, and brush off my bench. We should do before and after photos. :)

Finally a area of violin making i have exceeded in beyond all else.I am going to have to clean it up some before picture .It is a skyscraper of violin crap, iced tea containers, <_< upholstery tools and much more

post-25192-0-82873200-1290438777_thumb.jpg

This won't win the competition, I know, but I'm just a neophyte at this.

Notice the nearly-empty tool rack, the contents of which are on the bench... and NONE of them (except the red-handled rasp) are needed for the neck shaping that is the current project.

I also have a thick blanket that I spread over all the tools in case I want to work on a fiddle and need someplace to lay it down.

Hey may I participate?

I will take some photos later... but perhaps I should be declared hors concours...

From all I've read in your posts Luis you should be hard to beat... :)

Probably not going to win either, (Manfio is in, after all) but it always fun to see peoples benches! I've got more or less four work areas, here's two of them, the other two were so tidy today, I couldn't see the point of including them.

post-23901-0-46580900-1290441732_thumb.jpg

post-23901-0-41833200-1290441688_thumb.jpg

Go Luis, Go! One can easily see that there's lot's of work happening in that shop. Like they say, "A clean shop is a sign of a sick mind!" :D

You can't see how messy it is below because of the mess above! Three inches of safe-t-planer shavings.

post-24760-0-64832100-1290405300_thumb.jpg

Sorry Dr Todd and all the following posters. I can beat you easily and get the gold medal for mess. I have two-four workstations (depending on the accumulated mess)AND I mix some of my other work with violin making so the mess is serious.

I can't show a photo as this might cause permanent harm to any viewer :) (Think Medusa)

Dr Todd....what book is that there? That's the technique of arching that Luthier O'Neille (sp?) uses and now I know where she got it from.

I do have two workstations that are clean but that's due to danger and toxicity issues -Blacksmithing & oil painting.