Maestronet Forums

Stuck cello endpin...

greenshamrock

Hi !

I have just received a new 4/4 cello, supplied with a cheapo endpin, splitted... I need to remove the thing and just can't.

What could I do, without damaging the ribs or the edges ?

cheers

Hi,

Unless you have all the specialized tools to remove the split endpin ...drills, reamers etc I would say that you have no choice but to take it to a luthier.

Regards...Tony

The tool that I use for this type of job is a parallel-jaw cabinet clamp. You can get enormous pressure on the jaws, but it will grip the endpin socket without damaging it (although not a problem with your endpin). If yours is really stuck, one side of the clamp jaw can press against the endpin screw for additional leverage. I got this clamp at Harbor Freight for about $6.

post-25151-026910400 1290010895_thumb.jpg

• 10 years later...

Trained for 10 years...to do what?  Play the cello?  Teach the cello?  Cello repairs?

Regardless, he would be a good starting point.  Hopefully, if he can't resolve the issue, he will know who to send you to.

On 11/17/2010 at 11:23 AM, Josh Henry said:

The tool that I use for this type of job is a parallel-jaw cabinet clamp. You can get enormous pressure on the jaws, but it will grip the endpin socket without damaging it (although not a problem with your endpin). If yours is really stuck, one side of the clamp jaw can press against the endpin screw for additional leverage. I got this clamp at Harbor Freight for about $6.

post-25151-026910400 1290010895_thumb.jpg

Josh, Why do you say it won't damage the end pin? I would think it quite possible to crush the socket entirely. Did you shape the jaws for the purpose? Thanks

It's not clear to me that the question is about a socket stuck in the endblock. Since it's from someone who sounds like a high school orchestra student I'm suspecting that either the metal pin won't move in the wood socket (a humidity issue) or the tip has fallen off and the pin is rattling around inside the instrument.

If the problem is a socket stuck in the endblock, I usually find the easy cure is to put out the pin, have someone hold the cello down, hold the end of the pin, and crank it like a hurdygurdy. Eventually it will work itself loose. If that doesn't work, it's time for a strap clamp similar to an oil filter wrench, but small, with a rubber strap. Sometimes that and the hurdygurdy crank, together.

3 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

It's not clear to me that the question is about a socket stuck in the endblock. Since it's from someone who sounds like a high school orchestra student I'm suspecting that either the metal pin won't move in the wood socket (a humidity issue) or the tip has fallen off and the pin is rattling around inside the instrument.

If the problem is a socket stuck in the endblock, I usually find the easy cure is to put out the pin, have someone hold the cello down, hold the end of the pin, and crank it like a hurdygurdy. Eventually it will work itself loose. If that doesn't work, it's time for a strap clamp similar to an oil filter wrench, but small, with a rubber strap. Sometimes that and the hurdygurdy crank, together.

Thanks Michael. I didn't see how old this thread was when I asked Josh. I also use the hurdy gurdy method but feel there should be a more elegant way to do this and it is a very common problem here on the coast of Maine. The end pin rod loose inside the cello sounds moderately amusing but I have been able to fish them out through the FF with little problem. I have been thinking about making some kind of slide hammer which would work with the rod removed or possibly something like a gear puller which could grab under the lip of the socket. Meanwhile I generally wax the sockets when installing end pin units.