Sign in to follow this  
richardz

E string parchment

Geoff:

I'm with you. I really think this is one of the dullest threads I've ever started....but it is pertinent information. There's no way around it, that is, except to pay someone else to do it: )

I didn't mean to cast a shadow on the thread, - just seems strange to be having an international discussion about such a small thing :)

On a lighter note -

The first parchment I got I found advertisied on a Witchcraft supplies site. They sell it for writing spells -

2 x 2 squares of either Kid, Sheep or Virgin Sheep !

I phoned him up - and he had a thick Birmingham accent, which amused me somehow - but then Black country, Black arts ?

He was quite interesting to chat to - and he sorted me out some really thin pieces.

I did ask how they managed to check that the virgin sheep were really virgins - but I gather it means they have not lambed !

I still have the squares - so maybe I shall try out some spells !

Geoff

I didn't mean to cast a shadow on the thread, - just seems strange to be having an international discussion about such a small thing :)

On a lighter note -

The first parchment I got I found advertisied on a Witchcraft supplies site. They sell it for writing spells -

2 x 2 squares of either Kid, Sheep or Virgin Sheep !

I phoned him up - and he had a thick Birmingham accent, which amused me somehow - but then Black country, Black arts ?

He was quite interesting to chat to - and he sorted me out some really thin pieces.

I did ask how they managed to check that the virgin sheep were really virgins - but I gather it means they have not lambed !

I still have the squares - so maybe I shall try out some spells !

Geoff

Funny, this witchcraft site is the first website that popped up when I looked for parchment... Incidentally they also sell pine resin and other red dye. But definitively not to make violins.

instead of parchment or ebony insert how about tagua nut ivory?

I have an old bridge with a real ivory insert. It looks cool & sounds fine, but I couldn't tell you how it compares to Ebony, parchment, and / or superglue.

Has such a test ever been done? The results would be dependent upon the particular fiddle, the strings used, and yadda yadda yadda.... but would still be useful.

My gut feeling is that the brightest sounding result would be the one passing the most harmonics. Thus, the others would be slightly limiting the violin's expressive potential. It might be best to go with the brightest, and then make other adjustments (string choice, SP adjustment, bridge tuning, etc) if the violin is then too bright. I'm just guessing, of course.

the parchment from witchcraft sources is not as effective at warding off evil, and contributes to a "wicked" tone for the e string :lol:

Hi

a note for anyone wanting to try real parchment or experiment with another source you can try Talas at talasonline.com

They sell what they call shredded parchment in 4 oz 8 oz and 16 oz bags. A 4 oz bag is a lot of parchment and they are more like cut offs and not like what comes out of a shredder machine. Its a bit heavy for my tastes but can be thinned and I have seen some serious bridges with nice thick parchments so its a little matter of taste. Also it has other possible repair uses so its good to have around.

Talas has other good stuff to check out. I buy hide glue and shellac flakes from them with great confidence.

I have a little bit of parchment that I seldom use. Normally I just use superglue and have had no problems. But this reminded me that I have some black pigskin intended for book covers that is about 0.015" thick. I use it for covering chin rest feet and the like, but now I'll have to try it on a bridge. It would be distinctive.