Maestronet Forums

Search function

Janito

I have tried on several occasions to Search the MN archives, only to give up in desperation because I cannot refine my search in an intelligent way.

Has anyone succeeded in arrving at their goal from a reasonable Search query? Am I missing something?

So far, a definite 'F' on this one for the upgraded software.

• 4 months later...

The search engine is only returning materials from the last year - Horrific loss of an archive.

I searched using "purfling" and got back 37 hits from last 12 months. How can we make it search the whole archive?

Click on the gear next to the magnifying glass. It will take you to a more specific search page that will include date range, etc. Fill in s much information as you can. It's a bit of a pain, but I just pulled up 64 threads using "purfling" over a 3 year range ending in 2009.

Click on the gear next to the magnifying glass. It will take you to a more specific search page that will include date range, etc. Fill in s much information as you can. It's a bit of a pain, but I just pulled up 64 threads using "purfling" over a 3 year range ending in 2009.

Using the Gear

- entered "purfling" in Find Words

- Type "March 20, 2008" in 'Find date by' and "March 20, 2011" in To

- Selected Forums and the Pegbox

Click ----- 37 replies in 2010 and 2011.

Cannot figure it out.

Cannot figure it out.

Just done another little experiment using the calendar to bracket a couple of dates in March 2011. This seems to work, but my display does not show how the calendar month or year can altered from the present one.

Oh well, I was warming the the Search engine, but now I am convinced that it is designed for folks whose mental reserves and attitudes do not require them to think back more than a year.

And so, history never repeats itself.

Just done another little experiment using the calendar to bracket a couple of dates in March 2011. This seems to work, but my display does not show how the calendar month or year can altered from the present one.

The calendar month and year are "pull down" menus. Click on the up/down arrows to the right of the starting month and starting year and select the month or year you want. Then click a specific date on the resulting calendar display (don't forget to do that last bit, or it reverts to the current month and year).

The calendar month and year are "pull down" menus. Click on the up/down arrows to the right of the starting month and starting year and select the month or year you want. Then click a specific date on the resulting calendar display (don't forget to do that last bit, or it reverts to the current month and year).

Jeffrey, the problem lies in my outdated IE. I can see the drop-down menus with a more modern browser.