Sign in to follow this  
zinomaniac

Viudes violin on Ebay

This maker's guitars have fetched $10-20K at auction. I could find no auction records for his violins. I did place an impulsive low bid and have been outbid. But as I look at the violin more I find it to be undistinguished looking (f's, scroll, wood quality). Any gut reactions?

Violn labeled Viudes

this sellers stuff seems to be very suspicious why else would he have no guarantee, if youre selling a genuine item a money back guarantee is only going to help your sale, i mean if i saw this violin with a stradivari label i wouldnt be surprised

ive been noticing these offerings from this reputed BSO member from al romeo, they all look very suspicious maybe this collector was easily duped, al romeo seems more of a duper than easily duped though, who would think of selling genuine italian violins so cheap, it doesnt make sense, sincerely lyndon :)

My link

heres another typical ebay offerring from padah hound, to my mind the label looks like a photocopy, the grain in the background seems to be a black and white photocopy process copying a brown mottled original, then the violin is guaranteed genuine even though noones ever seen one that looks like it, and the violin itself looks like mid grade factory european work, hardly any sign of hand work at all, certainly none of the crudeness of hand made american from this period especially the scroll looks quite mechanical, it is quite possible the maker put his label in a white violin bought from germany, but this is just the kind of thing padah is trying to say this one is better than, i dont think anyone has established that hand made generic american is any better than factory european, any way the text is full of plagarism of padah by padah of his other listings, in all honesty i could be completely wrong about this one but im really interested in what other people think, does this even look like a hand made violin???? :)

this sellers stuff seems to be very suspicious why else would he have no guarantee, if youre selling a genuine item a money back guarantee is only going to help your sale....

Although he does not guarantee the authenticity of the violin, he does have a no-questions-asked refund policy if the violin is returned within seven days of receipt. That's got to be worth something.

ive been noticing these offerings from this reputed BSO member from al romeo, they all look very suspicious maybe this collector was easily duped, al romeo seems more of a duper than easily duped though, who would think of selling genuine italian violins so cheap, it doesnt make sense, sincerely lyndon :)

I have know this seller personally for about 25 years. He is a well-known Boston-area violin teacher and a long-time itinerant violin buyer. He is very knowledgable about violins and bows. I believe that he has a huge collection of violins, some of them quite fine, and that he has decided to sell some of them on Ebay.

I hope the 'free verbal advice' offered in the unsolicited self promotion at the end of yours posts is more thoughtful and measured than the written ones you publish here.

Al.romeo has more fine violins in his private collection than you are likely to see in your lifetime. You have no basis at all for using terms like 'suspicious' and 'duper'.

In questioning whether it might be Italian or not he is merely questioning whether the label is genuine while leaving us to use our own judgement.

Viudes' heritage was from Spain, not Italy but that in no way detracts from a nice instrument.

Glenn

if that is so why do i only see dubious looking stuff on ebay, either its a viudes or not, if not an element of deception is in play in this ad, same goes for padahs ad, me im selling a genuine georg gemunder on ebay, i think its a might bit more interesting than this stuff, but of course im nobody, and al romeo and padah are maestronet gods, ps im only picking on these two because they frequent this website and should know better, there are many worse and more obvious frauds on ebay....

...im selling a genuine georg gemunder on ebay....

Do you guarantee that this is a genuine George Gemunder? If yes, how will you back up your guarantee, should the violin not turn out to be genuine?

i give the customer two weeks or more to get their own independent appraisal and a full refund, ive already had it returned once, the appraiser thought it was gemunder but disagreed over the price so i lowered the price to 8k which is awefully cheap for a gemunder albeit in not pristine condition. its been to four appraisers now and they all thought gemunder, his varnish has a unique look to it

back to al romeo, i made a few mistakes , one thinking it was italian, it could easily be some kind of small factory argentinian, and i must admit the label looks real, but its not this particular violin that irks me its the many very fake looking offers from this same BSO collector that makes me think this collector was unknowingly perhaps buying a lot of fakes, als part in this may be simply the middleman, and i mistakedly thought he was not offering any return policy because his statement 'no certificate, no guarantee' my apologies :)

i give the customer two weeks or more to get their own independent appraisal and a full refund....

al.romeo62 also gives the buyer the opportunity to return his violin for a full refund with no questions asked after a trial period -- essentially the same guarantee you give. Yet you entered this discussion criticizing him, saying "this sellers stuff seems to be very suspicious why else would he have no guarantee, if youre selling a genuine item a money back guarantee is only going to help your sale." Why do you criticize him for doing the same thing that you do?

Golly, I can't help chiming in! I wouldn't buy a fiddle from either of them! In fact I wouldn't buy a fiddle from any violin dealer on eBay. For instance, a year or two back, I saw a Hubicka violin on a Skinner string auction go for $800- the very next week padah-hound had the exact same instrument up on eBay and it went for 3 or 4 thousand. Did the violin suddenly acquire greater value? No, it was still a shop violin but it had the seller talking it up and a lot of bidders with more money than sense, (actually, it only takes two). Both the violins in question on this thread, the "Boston" violin on Padahs site and the Argentine label on al.romeo62s site just look commercial & uninteresting. On the other hand, I would buy a violin from a reputable antiques dealer on eBay if I thought it was good, but I would be bidding against a few eBay violin dealers as well as the collectors. As for "papers" and "guarantees" they usually aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

the difference brad is that i have mine professionally appraised before i make any claims about them, then i tell the customer exactly what i know about the violin, good and bad, i you go to ebay and look at my ad youll see its very different(search georg gemunder 1895), as to my original statement about als violin at the time i was mistaken about als return policy, for this i already apologized in the post above....just checked this violin says italian in the title an outright deception, and also says viudes violin not labeled as viudes which is another deception if he has not had it professionally appraised, so maybe im apologizing for no reason....

What is the deal with all the fake BSO stuff on ebay??? I haven't seen what I thought was an accurately labeled one yet that was attributed to any BSO musician. If an ebay listing says "BSO" anywhere in it, you will almost assuredly find the violin is attributed incorrectly.

Those letters are a warning sign to proceed with caution.

What is the deal with all the fake BSO stuff on ebay???....

While I know nothing about the instrument in question, I do know that al.romeo62 has contacts in the BSO, and I do not dismiss out of hand that he could really be selling an instrument from "the Estate of an ex BSO employee." He does not claim that it was owned by a BSO musician.

While I know nothing about the instrument in question, I do know that al.romeo62 has contacts in the BSO, and I do not dismiss out of hand that he could really be selling an instrument from "the Estate of an ex BSO employee." He does not claim that it was owned by a BSO musician.

I wasn't commenting on the particular instrument, but I've seen several other sellers, not al.romeo, selling "BSO" instruments and they clearly had odd ball labels. It was like the BSO was having an instrument labeling party, lol.

the only BS O ive been seeing frequently on ebay is coming from al romeo, with the same not so slick marketing campaign, in all fairness he never does say what BSO stands for, maybe its better not to ask!! :)

There are at least 3 other E-bay sellers pushing collections of "former BSO" violins because I bought one. I knew it wasn't what it was purported to be, but it looked well made and the price was right. The one I bought clearly is not as labeled and marketed. The name was so odd, I started looking closely at 10-20 other "BSO" curent and ended sales and they ALL were fakes. Many even had scrambled first and last names of two different European luthiers. I'll post some photos if I get a chance, it's a keeper as I really like the tone (among the top 2 of 15+ we've had), but.....I still think the BSO held labeling parties, lol.