Maestronet Forums

Adirondack Spruce Tops & Good Tonewood Suppliers?

JoshT

I guess this is a two item post.

1. Anyone know if Adirondack Spruce makes good tonewood for violins? They are some of the best for guitars and I wonder it will work well for violins.

2. Who would you recommend as suppliers of top grades of luthier wood for violins? USA or Europe.

Thanks,

Josh

20 years ago, I was seriously into tonewoods (a different stringed instrument and still have a small stash including Brazilian rosewood etc.) But having been away from tonewoods for so long, I have NO IDEA where to start for violin woods.

I need top grade wood that is ready to build for a couple of violins. My primary concern is properties that will have the best opportunity for a great instrument tonally. Visual aesthetics of course is important too but secondary compared to tonal potential.

Any suggestions as to supplier? Or can any luthier here help?

Thanks,

Josh

I guess this is a two item post.

1. Anyone know if Adirondack Spruce makes good tonewood for violins? They are some of the best for guitars and I wonder it will work well for violins.

2. Who would you recommend as suppliers of top grades of luthier wood for violins? USA or Europe.

Thanks,

Josh

This is a good source for red spruce and highly flamed american maple, http://adirondackspruce.com/

Red spruce can be used for violin tops but I haven't used it in a while. You might try contacting Barry Dudley about this wood since he seems to like using it for violin tops. He used to post regularly here but lately he doesn't, I would try emailing him.

Red spruce tends to be dense and stiff, many violinmakers today are more interested in using low density (light wieght) tops and englemann spruce is a much more commonly used wood. I like sitka spruce too, especially the lighter pieces.

This is a good source for red spruce and highly flamed american maple, http://adirondackspruce.com/

Red spruce can be used for violin tops but I haven't used it in a while. You might try contacting Barry Dudley about this wood since he seems to like using it for violin tops. He used to post regularly here but lately he doesn't, I would try emailing him.

I second those recommendations. John Griffen is extremely knowledgeable, and a real straight-shooter. Between him & Barry Dudley, you should get your answers.

As far as guitars go, for a big booming dreadnought there is nothing better than Red Spruce. That what was on all the great pre-war Martins. It is loud & clear, with very little compression. My gut feeling is that it would not make a good classical violin, as it does not have enough damping, but maybe an adjustment of other factors would compensate, and you might end up with some extra dynamic range.

for country & bluegrass, and/ or for an electric-acoustic, it could be very promising. I'm DYING to hear Barry D's latest walnut-red spruce fiddle, but he has no sound file yet.

It was very scarce (in aesthetically pleasing form) for a long time, but now the "new" growth is coming into maturity, and there's a decent supply again.

I second those recommendations. John Griffen is extremely knowledgeable, and a real straight-shooter. Between him & Barry Dudley, you should get your answers.

It was very scarce (in aesthetically pleasing form) for a long time, but now the "new" growth is coming into maturity, and there's a decent supply again.

I 3rd that too. While i dont know Barry but i do know John vary well and he has helped me greatly getting a sound out of Red Spruce. All the wood i buy is from him. His maple is vary good too.

Jesse

Thank you everyone! Very grateful for those of you who responded to my first post in a long while.

After doing further reading, I believe I should go for lower density woods such as Engleman or low density sitka. I asked about Adirondack simply because I am familiar with it.

Appreciate all the suppliers mentioned - keep 'em coming.

Thanks!

J