Sign in to follow this  
paolojacm

Giuseppe Rocca and Guarneri Alard measurements?

Indeed the moulds from Guarnerius are very near matches for the Amati ones, especially the second one, given that the mould doesn't have the corners.

I have a poster for the Cessole from Guarneius and according to the measurement this violin is substancially smaller and narrower than the others. I guess the mould that was used to make it could have easily been adapted to make the other larger ones, but the contrary seems more difficult to achieve. Did GdG really only use the two moulds you posted?

Comparing Strad posters of the Allard, the Heifetz, and the Kreisler, the Allard is very wide across the center and the Heifetz is quite small.

It's nice to have a few different forms to use if just to make life interesting.

Hi

I posted only the mold which correspond to the grand pattern

the second mold identified is larger, made by a swiveling motion of the grand pattern

I don't know how many forms DG used during is life

I simply say that i have identified two forms among the ribs outlines I have gathered

FD

as attached file ; example of the second pattern

del_gesus4.pdf

del_gesus5.pdf

Indeed the moulds from Guarnerius are very near matches for the Amati ones, especially the second one, given that the mould doesn't have the corners.

I have a poster for the Cessole from Guarneius and according to the measurement this violin is substancially smaller and narrower than the others. I guess the mould that was used to make it could have easily been adapted to make the other larger ones, but the contrary seems more difficult to achieve. Did GdG really only use the two moulds you posted?

I carved one Del Gesu "Alard" copy . The best violin I am ever made . Tricky part the thickness . I am carved little stronger ,specially the post area  . This is extremely low arching model . Recommended :)

I am looking at the Del gesu alard 1742 poster. The top opening of the peg box is 14.2 mm. Is this measurement correct ?. This  seems  unusally wide. Thanks   Henry