Sign in to follow this  
David Frederick

Where do you get your bow hair?

I've been getting my ok grade bow hair from John Norwood Lee for my own shop. For the shop I do part-time work for we got it from Concord Int'l Group. I phoned Concord the other day for some student grade bow hair and they said they're experiencing a shortage, and haven't received any since March. I phoned JNL and LAH for current pricing and availability and have yet to hear back from either one of them. For my own shop I've looking to take my rehairs up a notch and purchase some premium grade hair for the better bows I work on. I'm curious as to what the difference is in the results between $230/lb. hair and $400+/lb. hair. Less wavy hair and more even length?

Jay

I have been using hair from a reputable supplier for a number of years now. But due to some recent issues, I think it may be time to move on.

Any thoughts? I am looking for the best not the cheapest...

Thanks,

David

Hi,

It might be worth trying here

I have been using hair from a reputable supplier for a number of years now. But due to some recent issues, I think it may be time to move on.

Any thoughts? I am looking for the best not the cheapest...

Thanks,

David

I have tried several supplier's premium hair and so far the best I have used is from Cleveland Violins. Pioneer Valley hair was quite good as well.

From Sowden's site :

'' The mares hair is identified by the urine stains at the tapered lower end of the hair. This gives extra grip for the rosin, as the urine lifts the minute scales to act as microscopic anchors. ''

In England they call that 'taking the piss'.

There are several recomendations here of "reputable" dealers in the violin business. The people who supply those people can either be some kind of joint-venture company working with and original source, or somebody close to them.

I buy mine from Wagman Primus. They are a big company with large turnover. The hair I have bought has always been free of rubbery hairs etc which I have had sometimes from violin companies. I would not buy from anyone else ever again.