Sign in to follow this  
arglebargle

Tarisio auction Strad

Some interesting instruments, but I have to say, the "Molitor" Strad is one of the more beautiful violins out there.

There are strads, and there are Stradivarius, and that violin is a great example of what the man was capable of at his best.

Huzzah, you dead Italian!

I see it was Elmar Oliveira's fiddle from 1989 until 1992 until he acquired the Stretton 1729 del Gesu.

According to B+F he made 10 recordings on it but according to iTunes which lists about 20 of his albums none were released anywhere near this period.

Does anybody know which recordings he actually used this violin on?

This violin was made in 1697 and the length of the back 355mm according to Cozio.com. Since this is in Strad's long pattern period I expected it to have a long back. However, according to the measurements on Cozio.com the bout widths seem narrow for a golden period violin. Is this one of Strad's "experiments" on the way to the golden period instruments? How does it sound? With an opening bid of $1,700,000 it must not be just another pretty face.

This violin was made in 1697 How does it sound? With an opening bid of $1,700,000 it must not be just another pretty face.

I was sure I'd come across this instrument during my "Let's waste some time by listening to violins on Youtube misadventures..." and here it is:

Part 1 (from about 1/2 way through violin appears and is identified)

Part 2

Violin is played in Amazing Grace and I definitely think it is worth at least the Tarisio estimate!

I was sure I'd come across this instrument during my "Let's waste some time by listening to violins on Youtube misadventures..." and here it is:

Part 2

Violin is played in Amazing Grace and I definitely think it is worth at least the Tarisio estimate!

-his vibrato is weird

-he yammers on about Chinese this & that to the TKD master, who is Korean

-ironic redemption: he finally moves beyond amazing grace halfway thru the 2nd video... thank gawd

Part 2

Tarisio make no mention of the current owner of the violin, so, from this, it seems it was Albert Stern, more noted for his interpretation of love songs and film music rather than the classical repertoire. That's probably where the money is.

Glenn

I see it was Elmar Oliveira's fiddle from 1989 until 1992 until he acquired the Stretton 1729 del Gesu.

According to B+F he made 10 recordings on it but according to iTunes which lists about 20 of his albums none were released anywhere near this period.

Does anybody know which recordings he actually used this violin on?

It is probaly used on the B+F production: The Miracle Makers * Stradivari * Guarneri del Gesu where he play 15 Strads and 15 del Gesus. It is three CD's and a book in full format with pictures and 'biography' of the fiddles. A part of the recording is the same Sibelius excerpt played on all of the instruments under the same recording conditions. Interesting for comparisons. I have used these for analysis and have written a couple of articles based on that.

This instrument has the strongest high frequency output of all the violins on that recording.

It is probaly used on the B+F production: The Miracle Makers * Stradivari * Guarneri del Gesu where he play 15 Strads and 15 del Gesus. It is three CD's and a book in full format with pictures and 'biography' of the fiddles. A part of the recording is the same Sibelius excerpt played on all of the instruments under the same recording conditions. Interesting for comparisons. I have used these for analysis and have written a couple of articles based on that.

This instrument has the strongest high frequency output of all the violins on that recording.

No I have to correct myself here. The Oliveira Strad has a slab cut back, or at least the back plate does not look like the Tarisio instrument.

Based on the username the buyer/bidder was Japanese. Guess the 15 year high yen to the dollar has its benefits.

She may not be the actual writer of the check, but the new owner is Anne Akiko Meyers. Heard it this morning on WQXR....