Sign in to follow this  
COB3

Gearing up for the show

Chet, nice decorative purfling on the smaller viola. Did it take you long to do? By the way, what sizes are these two violas?

I also like your finish, but the brown background isn't maybe the best choice. Try to use an even coloured neutral background - white would be best. You can buy inexpensive art cardboard sheets for this purpose.

Reflection can be caused by many light sources ranging from photolamps to flash. Best is to use two lamps on either side of the instrument - just experiment a bit. And maybe also check out the reference thread on photography which was pinned for a while. There should be lots of tips there for you.

I hope you manage to finish several more instruments prior the show.

Cheers, Peter

I love that show. With luck, I'll be there too. Enjoy your project.

Ah, Chris! Good to hear from you! Hope to see you there.

Peter, the smaller of the two measures 15+" over the arches-- the other measures 16-1/2" over the arches. They were supposed to be a 14 7/8 (15") and a 16-1/4" respectively.

I intend to build a photo-frame that will incorporate a white background and bars to hold my lamps...haven't gotten that far just yet. So I stacked 'em in my office chair and snapped away. :-)

The purfling weave was somewhat time-consuming, yes. Here's what it looked like before varnish, and without reflections:

backresizeddaSalo.jpg

Once I get some better photos, I'll post 'em. Thanks for the friendly, supportive responses, folks.

Great stuff Chet, I really like the smaller one. I like the purfling and I really like your C bouts nice and tight. Keep it up. I'm making a guitar right now, I'm real close on the traditional one i've been doing,but I'm gonna let that sit for awhile and finish the guitar. Good luck at the show, have fun.

I look forward to seeing both of them, for different reasons. My son makes guitars, so I have a special interest there, and I have been anxiously awaiting the debut of your traditional violin. I'll bet it's a knockout. :-)

Don't know how one defines an alto or tenor viola...I think they are bigger, though.

I have some larger, smaller, and between these two, in size, but not done, yet. I have a 14" another 16-1/4", a 16-1/2", a 15-1/2", and a 16" that are all about half-done or a little less. That and three violins.... Aren't the tenors the really big violas? Like 17-18" or better?

Here is a better size comparison. From left to right, they are: 16-1/4" viola, 15" viola, and 4/4 violin.

vavavncomparisonfrontresized.jpg

vavavnsidecomparisonresized.jpg

vavavnbackcomparisonresized.jpg

I have another violin well on the way. I hope to get a bassbar in it this weekend.

Final viola is complete. There are also two violins completed of which I have not posted photos.

Here is the 16" viola:

16oliverresizefront.jpg

16Oliverresizeback.jpg

If anyone is interested, I will post the violins as well. Otherwise, this is pretty much it. I only accomplished half what I hoped. Five instruments between last August and now, instead of ten. I will take those five plus the one violin in the earlier photos, and that will have to be enough, this time.

Chris, I saw your name on the list, and am looking forward to fnally meeting you.

Chet

I would like to see the violins, please.

ps - For your viola F hole design, you should consider whether the lower hole should be as large as it is. The eye is drawn to it and this makes the F appear unbalanced.

Here is one of the violins. I will try to get a photo or two of the other.

resizedfrontmilanollo.jpg

resizedbackmilanollo.jpg

resizedbassscrollmilanollo.jpg

You are right about the f-holes being oversized. I had decided that they were too vertical, so I tried to balance the appearance by broadening the lower holes outward. It sort of worked, but the holes are oversized as a result. Better luck next time, I guess. The sound is very big on this viola. Almost too loud.

Final viola is complete. There are also two violins completed of which I have not posted photos.

Here is the 16" viola:

If anyone is interested, I will post the violins as well.**********

Chet

Hi Chet, great work!

the F holes on your viola sort of reminds me of a Gabrielli i've seen.

i love violas that do not conform to the norm. (they play the best :) )

have fun at the show and all the best

please do share more pictures.

thanks for posting

R

post-29094-0-18751900-1303015440_thumb.jpeg

Annnnd, the last violin:

russellowenfront.jpg

russellowenback.jpg

This wood was given me by an older fellow who bought it many years ago thinking he would build a fiddle, and now realizes it isn't going to happen, so he wanted the wood to become a fiddle, even if he couldn't do it. So there it is. Trouble was, he had evidently lost the neck billet, and the back portion was a tad narrow, so I winged it out in the lower bouts, but somehow picked up a scrap of the wrong wood, so it does not match perfectly. Looked OK out in the shop, but under different light I realized I had somehow made a mistake. But there it is...and it plays very well, so I am not unhappy with it.

Thanks for posting the violins - BIG achievement, congrats.

As regards the viola shown in post #34, the F holes are set very low relative to the horizontal line joining the lower edge of the purfling of the bottom corners. As a result, you may have lost the reference to the C bout edge which helps to set the 'tilt' of the F stems.

A suggestion would be to draw the horizontal straight line purfling to purfling (or whatever offset), and curved lines that follow the C bout outlines by an offset of XX mm. The 'upper' edge of the lower hole would touch these 2 lines.

Of course, 'verticality' of the F will also depend on the distance between the 2 top holes.

ps - Working with F hole templates cut in transparent plastic allows all the edges and lines to be seen clearly while adjusting the position - hugely easier than the plywood ones I had before, but irritatingly easy to lose when they become invisible in a tool-heap.

Chet, well done. I also like the small viola with decorative purflings.

I can't help feeling that all the istruments would look really great with a simple straight varnish job, no antiquing at all. This is also something I'm learning about my own work too. The antiquing takes TIME, it's very tricky to get it right, and it doesn't fool anyone, least of all me !

Cheers. :)

Thanks, all.

The antiquing is simply what I like, beside the fact that it seems to hide some of the irregularities in my workmanship. :rolleyes: As you say, maybe it doesn't fool anyone. As I gain skill, I will try some straight varnish jobs, again. It has been interesting, though: lots of people prefer the antiqued look. Maybe they somehow associate that look with "nice violin", and it is subconscious. Dunno. But I am in that group, as well, so it's OK.

The choice to lower the f-hole position, relative to the purfling line, was deliberate, to accommodate the larger lower bouts and maintain the 375mm string length I was shooting for. The nicks would have been way too low, had I put the f-holes where they would ordinarily be.

Acoustically, the design works well. I saw ahead of time that there would be an issue with the location of the nicks, so I discusssed it with one of my mentors, who suggested I simply lower the f-holes. It bothered me a little, since I have always lined up the upper edge of the lower hole with the lower edge of the c-bout purfling. But once I became accustomed to the change, I liked it just fine.

Hopefully I will continue to improve, rather than stagnate. So far, with one or two exceptions, each instrument has been better than the previous one... so I guess I am still learning. That's good. ;)

Nice work Chet. You got a lot of things finished up, and they look great at the same time. One thing about violas that seems cool to me is that there are so many different shapes and sizes. Violin models have differences, but they are much more subtle, especially when you don't know what your looking for, and have trouble along the way. And, if you do something a bit different, it's not a good thing. I still have a bunch to do and your photos just might be the push I need to get something completed!

Ken

Nice work Cob! I hope you get a good reception at the show.I like the purfling weaving on the one viola.

Thanks! That was definitely labor-intensive-- and I actually began it several years ago, when I knew less about purfling, so I am not at all satisfied with the purfling, but it plays well, and, at least to the non-critical eye, it looks nice, so...someone will like it.

I hope the show goes well for all involved. I have been told they are in a larger room this year, as it became too crowded last year. Those are good problems. :)

Press on, Ken! The satisfaction in the work completed is definitely worth it...every time.

Chet

Chet, if you intend to continue with the antiquing, it might be easier / better to finish the instrument with straight varnish job, THEN antique it. As would have been the case with an old instrument, it didn't start out with half it's varnish missing. You will learn more from this method than you think.

I know that Ertz does it the other way round, with the dents n dings BEFORE varnish, but each to their own.

Lastly, I hate to say it, but if you can afford to do so, slow down !

Hi Chet, I look forward to seeing all of your instruments and meeting you at the show - it's coming up soon! I'll be there with a viola and a new cello, one that I'm varnishing right now.

-Peter

Getting down to the wire, aren't we? :-) Ah, well, we'll make it, though. I think I have heard your name before-- it will be good to meet you.

Chet

My kids upgraded my website for me, as a Christmas present. It looks a bit cleaner, now. There are still a lot of things to complete on it, but it is working, and in time for the show, so that when I distribute business cards, the web address works. :)

The show is tomorrow and Sunday. I will post pictures afterward, hopefully.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Chet