Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pollard

Southern California Violin Makers Workshop

Michael Darnton’s wife, Ann, has put together a new web-page for the Southern Californinia Vioiln Makers Workshop. I think it looks pretty nice.

http://www.scvmw.com/index.php

I’ve attended for three years now, and have my deposit in for next year. Though I certainly have far to go, I come back from each workshop seeing more, working faster, and cutting cleaner.

Highly recommended.

Hey Ken,

I think this year's workshop was the best to date! I'd gladly sign up for a lifetime membership, if only Jim would let me! I actually offered! Hope your building is coming along well.

Jennifer

Hey Ken,

I think this year's workshop was the best to date! I'd gladly sign up for a lifetime membership, if only Jim would let me! I actually offered! Hope your building is coming along well.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

One of the other nice things about a workshop is the chance to see different tools other people use. I did get a flat-bottomed thumb-plane like you had, and I use it for all sorts of things. Just yesterday, I used it to clean-up the face of a bass bridge I had fit. Don't know if it was the most efficient way to do that, but it was pretty quick and, more importantly, fun. :-)

I'm in the back-to-school rush here, so not much building. I finally got the fingerboard fit to the neck. Here are a couple of snapshots of the darn thing.

post-24063-1283398906.jpg

post-24063-1283398923.jpg

To quote Homer Simpson:

"mmmmmmmmm, Winter Session!"

In all seriousness, Jim, what could be better than three weeks of great teaching and learning, great facilities, great organization, and great friends? Answer: Six weeks.

Will

I'm sure it would be no problem to get those college students to eat and sleep somewhere else for 3 weeks, say right around mid-terms. :)

Jim does a heck of a job shoe-horning us in between regular classes and the summer sessions.

Besides, can you imagine the Frank Hall fountain with 3-foot snow drifts. That's winter, right?

Winter Session - OMG - I'd need a defibrillator to make it through :) Your request is, however, duly noted.

JB

Go Jim!

You're doing some good stuff. Defibrillators are getting cheap, and there's plenty of time for rest later under the dirt. :)

Go Jim!

You're doing some good stuff. Defibrillators are getting cheap, and there's plenty of time for rest later under the dirt. :)

Thanks David, much appreciated coming from you.

Alas, yes, under the dirt. I can hear it now: "Requiem for a Luthier". I must say 'Luthier' because mere organizers are not allowed to rest!!

J-

Thanks David, much appreciated coming from you.

Alas, yes, under the dirt. I can hear it now: "Requiem for a Luthier". I must say 'Luthier' because mere organizers are not allowed to rest!!

J-

Not to worry Jim I have my certificate to operate an AED, so you are safe. We from the" dark side" (the bowmakers) are relying on you to continue to have Lynn's bow making workshops and to enjoy the first class facility and your hospitality.

We all know about Michael but Ann also has crazy skill and an incredible eye for web design. Wow!

She is very talented and I am very fortunate to have had her do the job. Of course her work can also be seen on Michael's webpage MIchael Darnton's Webpage as well as the webpage for Midwest String Rentals Midwest String Rentals

Very good work indeed and I am very happy with the results :)

JB

Not to worry Jim I have my certificate to operate an AED, so you are safe. We from the" dark side" (the bowmakers) are relying on you to continue to have Lynn's bow making workshops and to enjoy the first class facility and your hospitality.

AED Cert. Great to know!

Of course, I am thrilled to be able to host Lynn Armour Hannings' bow making workshops. She is one of the finest instructors in the nation in my opinion. Not only incredibly talented and knowledgeable in her field but, more importantly here, able to instruct others in a way that works for each individual. Of course, that goes for Michael too. Without a doubt, two of the finest instructors out there and I am fortunate enough to have them both under the same roof!

JB

AND Jim wears many hats during the workshop:

organizer

teacher (he is particularly patient with people just starting)

postman (we usually end up making at least one group tool order)

snack provider (you will never be hungry at the workshop)

and he has the best chef cooking our meals

Jim's assistants are great too: Bob - who has every tool imaginable and willing shares them, and Steve who is a pretty mean bow maker in his own right.

We also have a lot of fun. :)

AND Jim wears many hats during the workshop:

organizer

teacher (he is particularly patient with people just starting)

postman (we usually end up making at least one group tool order)

snack provider (you will never be hungry at the workshop)

and he has the best chef cooking our meals

Jim's assistants are great too: Bob - who has every tool imaginable and willing shares them, and Steve who is a pretty mean bow maker in his own right.

We also have a lot of fun. :)

+++++++++++

Who is wearing a hat but no pant?