Maestronet Forums

Walnut 5 string

BarryD

No sound files...I didn't have a chance to get anything recorded before the show.

The photography i something that takes a lot of work...for me anyway. I love it but it is hard. So much to learn. Michael Darnton is really the one that made me realize that I needed to learn how to take decent photos to help with sales and marketing. Now it has become my hobby.

The photography i something that takes a lot of work...for me anyway. I love it but it is hard. So much to learn. Michael Darnton is really the one that made me realize that I needed to learn how to take decent photos to help with sales and marketing.

- And you're getting really good at it. I'm a serious amateur photog myself, and I know how hard it is! Your lighting is just about perfect, and I love how your varnish looks.

Here's a tip I recently discovered: If you want to take a pic on an angle, especially a macro shot, it is REALLY helpful to have a tilt-shift lens. Yes, very expensive (the new Canon ones are amazing) but worth it. They let you keep everything in focus.

-an alternative is to get a medium-format lense, like the Mamiya 645 120mm f/4 macro, and put it on a T/S adapter. Zork sells one of the best adapters. For about $8-900, you end up with an amazing setup.

I have a Nikon D300, a Mamiya M645, an RB67 and a Bronica ETRS. I love medium format film for B&W! I have been thinking about a Lens Baby T/S.

^ Wow! Nice. I'd love to have a Bronica.

What's a lens baby T/S? A new lens from them, or an adapter? I personally wouldn't trust their optics, but an adapter alternative to Zork would be wonderful.

Anyway, since you have a 645, DEFINITELY find a good 120/4 macro. It's one of the best lenses they ever made, and you can pick them up cheap, being MF and all.

Many years ago Michael Darnton made an impression on me with his photography...his ability to show his workmanship. It's difficult to do that with a "snapshot"...it takes a photograph. This is basically my attempt to copy a photograph I saw that Michael had posted.

post-5140-1286546185_thumb.jpg

'' I have been thinking about a Lens Baby T/S. ''

If you want the toy lens look that's a good lens for it, but for a proper tilt shift I'd sugguest the

85 mm f/2.8 PC Micro-Nikkor, for your d300, save on darkroom work, it's got all you need. Not cheap though. This is the best review I know of it :

http://www.google.ie/url?url=http://www.na...FuQ&cad=rja

Still got my Mamiya 645J, it's rock solid and was dirt cheap.

For all my violin photos I've used one lens, a Pentax SMC 50mm Macro, with polarizing filter, stopped down to f11 on a tripod. It's time I found a new look, but I don't like large areas of blur in photos that are supposed to show detail. For quick n dirty I just use pop up flash with some fill light.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benconover/5058036790/

I asked Darnton about T/S via large format, and he said just use digital stopped down.

The photos on Neil Ertz's site were done with a large format camera and T/S but for the average viewer they'd never even know. Also, the average viewer would not understand the perspective correction going on with T/S photography, so why bother when they don't see it......

Here's a photo I made with a home made shifting pinhole, for fun :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benconover/20...57603261040049/

the average viewer would not understand the perspective correction going on with T/S photography, so why bother when they don't see it......

- But they CAN see it. They just don't recognize it for what it is. As you say, tllt gives a different perspective, which I personally prefer for this type of shot, especially the macro-type shots of bridges, f-holes, and such.

Also, you can then open the lens up a little, so you don't need as much light, which can give a different look to the finish & also minimize reflection problems.

And heck, any excuse for buying a new toy....